S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
baddad71
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 1993, I got my first S10 from my father in law Al. It was a 91 S10 shorty with the Durango package. It had a 4.3 and a 5 speed.
It was kind of hard to get used to because it had 4.10 gears and it would buck very hard, very easily, if you ever tried to use 1st gear, and everybody just used 2nd to start.
Even though it was only 2 years old, it already had 91K miles on it when Al got it from the original owner. He only had it about 6 months when I got it from him.
Not long after I got the truck, it needed a new clutch which was no surprise after always starting in 2nd.
I went to the local parts store and got a kit with disc and plate, and bearing. I pull the transmission out and get the old clutch out and nothing matches.
I go back to parts store and do some digging in their computer and their shelves and find a set that matched listed under a note that said "With MY2 transmission option". I got that kit and it worked great.

Here's my questions:
What transmission does RPO code MY2 really indicate? I've searched on google and only found 1 link to this forum and a thread that says MY2 is a definitely an NV3500, but can't find any other confirmation anywhere else.
Wiki shows the NV 3500 in S10's starting in 1993. My Durango was a 91
...somebody's got wrong info.
Last question: what does HMD and 85mm and 4.D2 1T mean?
Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Number Slope

I recently found out my MY2 had a ridiculous 4.02 first gear, but nobody lists the ratios for the other gears.
That truck had 4.10 rear gears and got 8-12 mpg. I don't think it ever hit 14 mpg once, but it was the fastest thing I've ever driven 0-50.
Couldn't bury an 85mph speedometer on top end when it was young and fresh

·
Randy
785 Posts
Prior to the NV3500 Gm used a T-5 Borg-Warner. It has a bolt on top cover. You can call the dealer parts dept. and give them the last eight digits of any VIN. They can print out RPO codes/definitions for that vehicle.

·
time to get cereal
6,686 Posts
The HM290 and the 5LM60 both predated the nv3500. Tranzman is good but is mostly an auto guy. The cases from the outside look similar but they are different internally.

·
Randy
785 Posts
The HM290 and the 5LM60 both predated the nv3500. Tranzman is good but is mostly an auto guy.
what are the RPO codes for those???

·
time to get cereal
6,686 Posts
The '92 manual I have is showing MG5 and MY2 for the 5LM60. I don't have any service manuals for the HM290.

Also, I feel I was being unfair, I only assumed you were mostly an auto guy from previous posts.

·
Randy
785 Posts
The '92 manual I have is showing MG5 and MY2 for the 5LM60. I don't have any service manuals for the HM290.

Also, I feel I was being unfair, I only assumed you were mostly an auto guy from previous posts.
So MY2 is a 5LM60 Transmission... the HM290 is a Getrag or a NV3500

Attachments

·
time to get cereal
6,686 Posts
From what I've read they look similar on the outside but the internals are not interchangeable.

·
Randy
785 Posts
From what I've read they look similar on the outside but the internals are not interchangeable.
the way I understand it is the Getrag=HM290=NV3500=5LM60. just other names for the same transmission. They have a 1 shift rail version & a 3 shift rail version. Yes they look similar and the internals are very different.
see the attachment.
before the NV3500, I believe S10's used a T-5 Borg-Warner. Borg-Warner sold that division to Tremec.

·
time to get cereal
6,686 Posts
the way I understand it is the Getrag=HM290=NV3500=5LM60. just other names for the same transmission. They have a 1 shift rail version & a 3 shift rail version. Yes they look similar and the internals are very different.
see the attachment.
before the NV3500, I believe S10's used a T-5 Borg-Warner. Borg-Warner sold that division to Tremec.
Yes, but the S10 4.3l never got the T5, only the 2.2l, 2.5l, and 2
8l.

·
Randy
785 Posts
Yes, but the S10 4.3l never got the T5, only the 2.2l, 2.5l, and 2
8l.
Got it! your right! your right that I am a Automatic guy too...

·
Randy
785 Posts
Didn't mean it like that, I swear. Sometimes my sarcasm gets the best of me.
Didn't take it that way either... No worries my freind!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts