S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys - I need some advise. A little off the wall for you guys, but I'm sure someone here will have the answer.

I have a 1983 Jeep CJ7 that I'm going to be putting one of the 4.3L Vortecs (from a 98 S-10) into. I've got the wiring harness & computer, and need to find a place that can reprogram the computer to make this thing run. I've already got a company that will rework the wiring harness, but I'm boggled as to the computer. Someone told me that the 98 computers couldn't be reprogrammed, so I've got one out of a 97 as well.

Do you guys know where I can get my comp reprogrammed to remove stuff like VATS, EGR, oxygen sensors, etc?

Oh - here's my final drivetrain I'll be running : 98 4.3 Vortec, 700R4 tranny, NP241C transfer case, hopefully no VSS.... :headbang:

·
Road Race/Auto X S10
3,828 Posts
What you want is the computer out of a 99+. You can use LS1 edit on those. :thumbup:

Heres just one of the many places that sell programs like that. You can see it says LS1 cars thru 03 and 99-04 trucks!

·
Registered
448 Posts
96s10 said:
What you want is the computer out of a 99+. You can use LS1 edit on those. :
Carputing.com says LS1 edit available only for 2001 and newer 4.3's.
Have you seen it work on a '99 or 2000?

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
from what i know 2k+ has the ls1 edit option...

as for options HPP3 allows changes to be made... but nto reprogram to truly reprogram you have to send it off to have ti reflashed... Mach Performance being the best example i know of and you can get a turbo kit or SC kit while yer at it and boost the jeep

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Superchargers & turbo's are kinda useless in a hobby where your pms are usually less than 1000.....

My stock motor had 82hp off the showroom floor. Pretty sure 190 will be plenty to get a 2800lb rig up to 70 mph without having to upgrade it...

Why does it cost so much to have these comp's reprogrammed? ($350 sounds a little steep to me!!!)

·
Registered
448 Posts
OlBlueCJ7 said:

Why does it cost so much to have these comp's reprogrammed? ($350 sounds a little steep to me!!!)
The reasons it costs so much:
1) The cost of the equipment
2) Not many suppliers (law of supply and demand)

·
Road Race/Auto X S10
3,828 Posts
There are more than one version of LS1 edit. Theres generic and name brand. The generic versions start at 99 and work exactly the same. I dunno why LS1 edit doesnt work on pre 01's.

·
Registered
448 Posts
96s10 said:
There are more than one version of LS1 edit. Theres generic and name brand. The generic versions start at 99 and work exactly the same.
Can you provide more info?
Are you using the term LS1 edit generically, to mean any owner-operator editing software?

·
Road Race/Auto X S10
3,828 Posts
There are other programs similar to LS1 edit. I consider them generic, because their copying LS1 edit, but they offer the same results. Lemme check my favorites to find the website again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts