S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm bagging my front in a couple of weeks and want to know which compressor to use.My friend doesnt have a pressure switch on his, so he cuts it on with a swtich thats ran to a relay.He has a Viair 450 but if hes not running all the time wouldnt it be better if I get a 33% duty cycle compressor like the Viair 400?I want mine setup like his.

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
LilRed96 said:
I'm bagging my front in a couple of weeks and want to know which compressor to use.My friend doesnt have a pressure switch on his, so he cuts it on with a swtich thats ran to a relay.He has a Viair 450 but if hes not running all the time wouldnt it be better if I get a 33% duty cycle compressor like the Viair 400?I want mine setup like his.
1. Tell your buddy to get a pressure switch cause what happens if he leaves it on and the compressor just keeps pumping and pumping. Hopefully over heat thing will kick the compressor off or it just explodes.
2. I would go with the 450 just because its a 100% duty. Its better to be able to run it any time than run if for a couple minutes and then have to let it cool. Yes the 400 will pump more air but the cooling part sucks. Both have there pros and cons.
3. Make sure u run a pressure switch.

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
dropt98chevy said:
You can still run a toggle switch to turn the compressor on and off if you have a pressure switch.
Thats what I did or u can run it to the ignition so when the key is on its like have the toggle switch on. The only way u can turn the compressor on with a toggle switch is if the pressure is low enough or on my pressure switch I can take the cover off and press the button and run them as long as I want.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the 450 has a thermal overload, it will cut off automatically if i leave it on.I'll probably go with a 400 and run a switch to it so i can cut it on whenever.Thanks for the replys

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
LilRed96 said:
the 450 has a thermal overload, it will cut off automatically if i leave it on.I'll probably go with a 400 and run a switch to it so i can cut it on whenever.Thanks for the replys
The thermal overload is good but the compressor could fail before it got there. I just see it better to run a pressure switch so u don't void the warrenty and there is no worries of running the compressor longer than u need. Its only 30 bucks dude.

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
SLAMnoma95 said:
not even 30 bucks...only the fancy shmancy Square D adjustable one to 220 is like 27 bux...the rest are like 20ish...dont chimp out 20 bux and possibly ruin a 200 dollar compressor...just my twin pennies
:stupid: Thats what I am talking about. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I just bought a 145/175 pressure switch for 12 bucks shipped. Dont go to McDonalds a couple times and boom you got a pressure switch.

·
Registered
99 Posts
yeah, theres no reason to not run the pressure switch....i have a p-switch...and a toggle switch for power to the compressor. So if the compressor switch is on whenever the tank pressure drops the comp. automatically comes on...if this happens at a drive through (by the way wendys 99 texas double ownz, best fast food burger you can get...for a buck) i just flip the toggle switch to shut off the power to the comp. Very helpful for itersections or places you dont want attention...also, with a p-switch...the compresser will shutt off automatically when the p-switch is satisfied....that way you dont have to guess what the tank pressure is...and you dont risk blowin your little 200$ comp up...
i wouldnt half ass it ...its a few more bucks and a few more wires..definately worth it.

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
Exactly what I was trying to say. Its good for now blowing up the compressor and the toggle is good for when u don't want to run the compressor.

O and I eat Mcdonalds every other day. I get chicken nuggets everytime.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll get a Viair 450 from jason and run a pressure swtich and toggle switch.The money for a pressure switch isnt a problem, just didnt think i would need one if I had a toggle switch.

I eat mcdonalds a lot. LOL

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
The toggle switch is just an over ride of the pressure switch when the pressure switch is on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts