S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
1993 S10 work in progress
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a huge problem! The piston in my compressor snapped! Do I need to buy a whole new compressor?

·
Registered
604 Posts
So I have a huge problem! The piston in my compressor snapped! Do I need to buy a whole new compressor?
need more info.... what brand of compressor, model number.... etc.... after that i and other people can tell u what to do from there.

·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya I took it apart before to check it put back together then when I tried it didn't work so I took it apart again and the piston was snapped! I was so mad still am! Nothing is really in my budget right now but have to try and get something!

·
Registered
604 Posts
sounds to me like your going to have to visit Viair......:cool: Call SD.com up....let Ricky know what happened.. he would set you straight! or don't know but i remember way back when this year someone had a large overstock and was selling them at near WHOLESALE price...:eek:

·
The way of all flesh
10,782 Posts
kid, listen to eveyone and get some viair's you will no be disappointed. if you have the cash get an edc

·
VIAIR Corp
1,767 Posts
Regardless of who made the compressor...

If the output shaft of the compressor broke off with the piston assembly, you now have a cool doorstop.

If its just the connecting rod itself, then you can replace that part. You will need another cylinder wall if there are ANY scores in the cylinder whatsoever.

However, you can get a VIAIR... Ask others how often I've take GOOD care of them, long after the initial sale. I have a reputation to uphold and I've made sure I take care of the people who helped VIAIR become what it is today.

-The number 1 compressor manufacturer in air suspension, bar none.

·
Registered
864 Posts
hey where in ontario are you i got a set of used viar 380 possibly sell you there like brand new i doubt i have 5000 k on the truck since i put them in and then they have been sitting for a year now probably send me a message if your interested

·
BMF Customs
272 Posts
what lance said. buy viairs.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
About the piston snap, I have seen this with the OB1 compressors if the valve plate is put back on wrong, when you took it apart, did you make sure that the small screw on the top of the piston went into the small hole on the bottom of the valve plate? If not the screw will slam into the plate and snap the head of the piston off.

If like Lance said just the piston itself snapped that can be replaced, but if it is the motor shaft you will have to replace the motor/compressor.

I may still have some parts laying around from an old OB1 I tested if you need anything! Let me know.

Pictures would help as well :)

·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
About the piston snap, I have seen this with the OB1 compressors if the valve plate is put back on wrong, when you took it apart, did you make sure that the small screw on the top of the piston went into the small hole on the bottom of the valve plate? If not the screw will slam into the plate and snap the head of the piston off.

If like Lance said just the piston itself snapped that can be replaced, but if it is the motor shaft you will have to replace the motor/compressor.

I may still have some parts laying around from an old OB1 I tested if you need anything! Let me know.

Pictures would help as well :)
Thats exactually what happened! ha ive never taken one apart before so i didnt really know and didnt even see that they werent lined up! not all my fault though, my dad was looking at it to and didnt see it until after it broke ha

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Thats exactually what happened! ha ive never taken one apart before so i didnt really know and didnt even see that they werent lined up! not all my fault though, my dad was looking at it to and didnt see it until after it broke ha
lol yea it is a bad design for there is no index pin to tell you how to put it back on, and if you never turn it upside down you would have never seen the indent.

Can you get me a pic of your piston, I will see if I have one that will match. :cool:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts