S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy...me and some friends bagged the rear of my friends 02 S-10. He only has the back bagged right now. He has a Thomas compressor and a 5 gallon tank. The only thing is that the compressor turns off once the pressure switch kicks in....but then like 5 seconds later...the compressor kicks on again and STAYS on. I figured "easy problem..just a leak in the lines somewhere"....but that's not the case...we checked everywhere for leaks but can't seem to figure it out. Maybe we wired something up wrong. Anyways....we need help figuring it out....this was our first bag install....so we still gotta work the bugs out. THanks guys......WILLIE

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
You got a gauge on the tank? Does it just keep filling up til even to high pressures?

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
Just taking a guess but could be something with your relay or a bad pressure switch.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we don't have a gauge on the tank......but we have an ajustable pressure switch. COuld that have anything to do with it???

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
You should put a gauge on that tank so you can make sure it doesnt fill it up to some crazy high pressure and burn up the compressor. What pressure switch is it?

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
What kind of adjustable presssure switch??? if its a kind like what AIM sells, not a square d one, then it kicks on at a 1 psi drop... so if you have ANY leaks, it will always be on.

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
SlammedDime said:
What kind of adjustable presssure switch??? if its a kind like what AIM sells, not a square d one, then it kicks on at a 1 psi drop... so if you have ANY leaks, it will always be on.
Those pressure switches that AIM sells SUCK ASS!!! A friend of mine had one and the compressor always ran. He got a the same one I did and it works great.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well...there isnt a name on the pressure switch. It's BIG and blue and it's circular...haha.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It sound to me like your pressure switch is turned up to high. Causing your compressor to get hot and go in to thermal overload. Once your compressor cools off again it kick back on because the pressure switch never actually told it to shut off. Thomas compressors are only 33% duty and only good up to 100 psi.

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
Actually, the Thomas 315's are rated at 120, and the 317's are rated at 150, as well as the new 337's. And a thermal overload protect doesn't kick off after 5 seconds, it takes a quite a bit longer so the compressor has time to fully cool off.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
SlammedDime said:
I agree with this one. Also since you said it was blue and round, I bet it is an eai switch like someone else said. And they do not have a pressure differential in them. So even as the air cools in the tank, or the outside temp drops, it will start the comp back up. Those pressure switches are best used for engine driven comps.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys for all the responses. I beleive the pressure switch is an EAI one...considering he got the stuff from The Hack Shack. So chances r, thats what kind it is. And if thats the case you guys r telling me that it'll kick on with even a 1 PSI drop? That must be it then.

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
Get u a square D pressure switch. Matt has them at gauge magazine. Plus u get a 5% dicount for being a member here.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
The only solution for you is a different psi switch. If you want to get one kinda locally, call adam at pacific air technology in mission viejo. Phone #949 855 9343. Or look up a tool repair place or hardware store in your area. These are just the switches used on home air compressors.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts