S-10 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Multi S10 havin' member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys i just bought this bag'd truck and was wondering something about the bags. i can run the compressor for about 30 seconds or so, and then it cuts off. i can then turn it off, and then wait a bit and then turn it back on for a little, then it cuts off again. what would be causing this? thanks

·
run and tell that
7,998 Posts
hmmm.......not sure ion that one. Maybe the motor in the compressor is bad??? But then I would think it would be blowing your fuse on the power wire though.........prolly not that, not sure bro....

·
Registered
917 Posts
If it is electric driven it could be a circuit breaker problem, or it could be the motor is on the way out and it is drawing a lot of current. If its an edc it could have a thermal cutoff switch. Hope that helps. Good luck

·
run and tell that
7,998 Posts
i had a bad motor in my compressor, and it would work fine if the tank was at a really low psi and I turned the compressor on manually.......

but if the tank was at 120 psi and the pressure switch engaged the compressor, it would draw an insane amount of amps and blow my fuses......

swapped out compressors, and problem went away. Luckily, I had a spare on hand, I know most people prolly dont have that luxury.

·
Multi S10 havin' member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have this pic of it:

hopefully somebody can tell what it is.

and it barely gets any pressure in the tank before shutting off.

·
Registered
917 Posts
It also looks pretty old, judging by how the fan cover is missing and how rusty the head bolts look. I would put my money on the motor going bad. by the look of the bed It looks like you have a second gen, you should probably just get a cheap edc. If its a 2.2 you can have one mouted and lines run in a couple of hours.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
low-okie said:
i have this pic of it:

hopefully somebody can tell what it is.

and it barely gets any pressure in the tank before shutting off.

Is it about this size?

That is a PUMA compressor from AIm chassis tech, the RED boddy means it was sold under a different name. like BIG RED or the sorts

Check you trap to be sure it is not pluged or full,
Remove the bowl and let the compressor run on its own under no pressure to see if it kicks.

Like said above the motor is hitting its thermal overlead so it thinks it is getting to hot.

could be to much friction from a blown bearing /bushing pluged filter/hose sticky valve you name it.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
and why is the rear fan cover removed?

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
I think two things are wrong with it. a) the motor is probably gone. By turning it on, the compressor starts to overheat from the bad motor, and the thermal overload switch kills the compressor. Secondly, the reason its not pumping any air is probably due to worn piston seals. I'm not sure that you would want to fully rebuild the compressor. Probably better off going with a Viair, or if you can afford it, an Air Zenith. I would just recommend a Viair 400, unless you like hitting switches a lot.

·
Multi S10 havin' member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i will probably just buy a AZ.

I don't know why the cover is missing; thats the way it was when I bought the truck. I don't really know alot about it yet, still trying to figure out what they used and did to it.

I am going to unhook the line and see what happens.

·
run and tell that
7,998 Posts
looks pretty old. I have a Puma myself, and its badass. Its brand new though, so it hasnt seen much wear and tear yet. Out of the 7 PUMA compressors I have owned over the years, I only have had one bad, and it was bad right out of the box and was exchanged in a matter of 2 days for a brand new one.

·
Multi S10 havin' member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok i unhooked the line and turned it on, seemed to be working fine and didn't cut off. so i put my finger over the hole so simulate pressure and it started to sound stressed, so i let off; then it sounded fine again, so i put my finger over the hole again and this time i held it as hard as i could and it cut off. and i felt around the-- i guess motor part, and it was getting pretty warm after just about 30 seconds. so i guess it has had it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts