S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ricky
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had 3 extra compression unions i picked up in case of leaks, well after my night of ficing a blown line, i had a leak, bad enough to leak all pressure from tank over night, or during school/work. it was most likely because i was fixing the line in the cold night and on the side of the road in the ghetto..but i put a new fitting on after re-cutting the line and it still leaked..so i tried ANOTHER fitting and got the line a little more straight as i tighttened the nuts. it didnt seem to leak bad, but after 2-3 hours it went down like 7-10 psi. i was wondering if theres anything special like if the line has to be straight and crap on these fittings when you tighten them. thanks

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
Are they from the same place as your others? (home depot/lowes) If so, it may just be cause they're shitty or somethin.... Just stuck the line up all the way onto the fitting, with the ferrule and nut on it, then tighten the nut... that's it. Tighten it pretty tight and it shouldnt leak.

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
The line has to be seated all the way, and you need to tighten the nut down so there is 1 or 2 turns of threading left before the cap bottoms out...

BTW... are these home depot/lowes fittings?

·
I hate you
2,241 Posts
SlammedDime said:
The line has to be seated all the way, and you need to tighten the nut down so there is 1 or 2 turns of threading left before the cap bottoms out...
I read that in the Parker Hannifin catalog too, and when I tightened them down that tight on my 1/2' line it seemed to be too tight cuz when I had to pull the line off the valve to move my valves, the line was crushed down so much that the inner sleeve came out too. I got it back in, thank god, and I haven't had a problem since :knocks on wood:

Now I tighten down to three threads showing. No problems

·
I'm poor
1,665 Posts
you did get the ones with the tube insert in them didn't you? I didn't make sure my air line was nice and straight on the end when I put it into the fittings and then I tightened them down fairly tight (using the middle of the wrench) and they do not leak at all (1/2 line)

·
Ricky
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use the insert on the line, and the little ring and nut right? i used ace hardware brass fittings, it was to fix a leak so dont crack on me for not going off and buying DOT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts