S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
black culture thief?!
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 95 has the same door depth as a 98 right? I am looking at installing a set of Alpine Type R 6.5 components or a set of Kappa or Kappa Perfect components. I have heard the Type R comps twice, so I know that they are frickin great, but I have also heard a set of Infinity Reference 6.5 components which sounded great, so I know that the Kappas and Kappa Perfects are that much better. I can get the Type Rs for $130, Kappas for $140 and Perfects for $210 from www.ikesound.com. I will be powering the comps with a Planet Audio Saturn P300.2s which is 150w X 2ch. What do you guys suggest?

·
do it....NOOOOWWW!!!
674 Posts
SMNW2003 said:
thats a whole lotta power
:stupid: The Kappa Perfects are 100 rms/400 max and the Type R is 50 rms/200 max so you might be going overboard with 150 rms

·
black culture thief?!
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is called head room. It is better to have too big of an amp that is adjusted just right than have to small of an amp that is cranked full blast for normal listening. I had a Alpine 30w X 2ch alpine that wasn't enough for a set of MB Quart Discus coaxials.

·
Grrr
1,575 Posts
power handling is not really a way to compare components. 100 watts is gonna distort/usually blow any speaker i can imagine. Just get a set from a good company ie. focal, jl, uh...sheit thats about all id run.

·
Banned
21,222 Posts
Its about what you think.

However, the Kappas and Ref. sound a lot different. Some people say the Kappas dont have as much midbass as the Ref, and the tweets are a little tinny sounding.

I'd get what you can hear.

The 150w will be fine, just keep the gains low. I ran 150w+ from a JL 300/2 on my Crystal 5.25"s and never had any probs.

·
black culture thief?!
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not everyone can afford Focal and JL. My goal is to create a system that sounds good, looks good and gets loud, but for a fraction of what I would pay retail for everything. BTW Liftedbronco, what is your system setup?

·
Got V8?
3,263 Posts
Liftedbronco said:
power handling is not really a way to compare components. 100 watts is gonna distort/usually blow any speaker i can imagine. Just get a set from a good company ie. focal, jl, uh...sheit thats about all id run.
thats disgusting that you would even consider putting JL components in the same sentence as Focal :mad:

Focal Polyglass components on ebay brand new for $250, a great price for a sweet set of speakers!

·
black culture thief?!
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought the Kappa components and they came in the mail today. When I install them, then I will let you guys know how they sound.

·
Not mini in the pants
88 Posts
truckramrod did you go with the perfects or just the kappa's? I just bought the perfects and the 4x6 kappa plates for a 2003 Silverado. Let me know how yours sound.

·
black culture thief?!
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nah I just decided to go with the regular Kappa Components. If I want to get something else then I would probably sell them, but after inspecting them. I think I am gonna like them...a lot!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts