S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, i have a viair 400 on a 5 gal. tank w/ a 110/145 ps, had this for about 6 months with no problems until the last week or so when i air up my truck the comp has been taking way longer than usual to turn on. it usually comes on immediately after i air up the front and back since i only have 5 gal.:rolleyes: but tonight it wouldnt turn on at all, i kept dumping & filling over & over to try to get it to come on but it wouldn't. i was at work so i went back inside and when i came back out the comp was hot so i knew it had run and this was like 30 min. later. so luckily i was able to get the truck up to drive home. could this be my comp dying, pressure switch or what?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
s10nospeed said:
How was the compressor running without you knowing, did you leave the truck on, or do you have it wired hot all the time?
it's wired so it can come on without the truck running...

·
Registered
917 Posts
ohh man, what if your sleeping and that bitch drains your battery. Or this could kick on every night and be experiencing twice the workload you think its getting. An ignition trigger would be the first thing to do. If its not turning over once it already has filled the tank it could have just tripped the thermal overload protection circuit. It is afterall a 33% duty cycle compressor. I hope this works out for you.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, i'm sure it doesn't ever run when the truck is off, mainly b/c when i go to air up the truck the tank is always empty from where i already used up all the air...lol..and actually i can disconnect it very easily by removing 1 nut and disconnect the wire

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
dreamxtreme said:
no, i'm sure it doesn't ever run when the truck is off, mainly b/c when i go to air up the truck the tank is always empty from where i already used up all the air...lol..and actually i can disconnect it very easily by removing 1 nut and disconnect the wire
Obviously it ran while you weren't there, so it did run when the truck was off.

Anywho, if its not coming on when it should, then you probably have faulty wiring, a faulty pressure switch, or a faulty relay. Only way to be sure is to get a multimeter and start testing.

·
SHENANIGANS!!!
5,860 Posts
dreamxtreme said:
Yep, test everything from the battery to the comp. And run a relay off of your ignition or something, relying soley on the pressure switch is a bad idea.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SlammedDime said:
Obviously it ran while you weren't there, so it did run when the truck was off.

Anywho, if its not coming on when it should, then you probably have faulty wiring, a faulty pressure switch, or a faulty relay. Only way to be sure is to get a multimeter and start testing.
what i meant was if i just park & air it out with air still in the tank it won't come on by itself. in this case i had already used all the air in the tank trying to get it to turn on so it should have turned on anyways, just not 30 min later...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts