S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the most common problems with s10s? (I have a 96 2wd).

My mechanic informed me they have a problem with coolant getting into the engine and distroying your cam and other internal components (if I remember correctly).

What are some things I should keep an eye on?

Thanks

·
Nitto1320 M O D
1,612 Posts
He may have been talking about siameze cylinders.

·
It Has Been Awakened
1,930 Posts
94-97 2.2L head gaskets were really shitty.

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
He was talking about the plastic intake manifold gaskets, they have a tendency to leak after a while. Sometimes they leak to the outside of the engine, sometimes internaly. For the most part these are farily reliable vehicles. I have not had any problems that left me stranded in the last 40K miles, at 100K now.

·
ROD TWISTIN MEMBER
3,808 Posts
mine has been kickin for 275,000 on mostly all stock parts

·
It Has Been Awakened
1,930 Posts
oh yeah, the 94-97 fourbangers SOME of the time have HORRIBLE lifter chatter. mine was so bad that it sounded like a diesel

·
no more S10
17,421 Posts
I have had no major problems with either of my 4.3 V6's. They're good motors!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Fuel pump/gas gauge. Coolant leakage or turning brown eventually turning to mud. Engine noise. AC compressors. Ignition switches. Not a lot of problems actually. Beats the heck out the newer stuff I see these days.

·
Tacklin Fuel
400 Posts
My lifter clatter like a mother when it's warming up or has been sitting for an hour after warming up. I have a trans problem or torque converter problem. I have a little vibration all of a sudden. It's at 45K with regular oil changes. I am probably lemon in the bunch but these dealerships are pissing me off. They have 2 more tries to fix it and then I'm going after them.

Also, the damn cab pops and creeks. It's not an engine thing but G damnit everything is starting to bother me. I do like my truck very much though.

·
the youngest has been
4,358 Posts
Cruznsten said:
oh yeah, the 94-97 fourbangers SOME of the time have HORRIBLE lifter chatter. mine was so bad that it sounded like a diesel
that would be the timing chain tensioner, not a lifter

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
tippmann243 said:
that would be the timing chain tensioner, not a lifter
Most don't have a tensioner. There was a dealer fix that installed one, but they wore out quick.

·
the youngest has been
4,358 Posts
rat said:
Most don't have a tensioner. There was a dealer fix that installed one, but they wore out quick.
then what did i change on the 2.2 i worked on, i could of swore it was the tensioner and an updated oil oraface

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
tippmann243 said:
then what did i change on the 2.2 i worked on, i could of swore it was the tensioner and an updated oil oraface
The 2.2 is a compleatly different animal. The 4.3's are cam in block, just like a 350 small block. The gears are only 6 inches apart. No need for a tensioner.

I just peaked at the haynes manual, and i see what you are talking about on the 2.2. The 4.3 tensioner was a joke compared to that thing. It was a nylon thing that wore out in short order. I know my 2000 4.3 doesn't have one, a 2002 that i worked on didn't have one. The 4.3 is also considerably more skinny that that thing.

·
the youngest has been
4,358 Posts
rat said:
The 2.2 is a compleatly different animal. The 4.3's are cam in block, just like a 350 small block. The gears are only 6 inches apart. No need for a tensioner.

I just peaked at the haynes manual, and i see what you are talking about on the 2.2. The 4.3 tensioner was a joke compared to that thing. It was a nylon thing that wore out in short order. I know my 2000 4.3 doesn't have one, a 2002 that i worked on didn't have one. The 4.3 is also considerably more skinny that that thing.
i was working on a 96 2.2 if that makes a difference

·
Registered
195 Posts
My biggest annoyance is the crappy plastic latch on the sliding rear window, the big plastic thing on the passenger side rear squeaks and rattles, and the door has gotten tweaked a little so the seal isn't quite right. It now makes a slight air noise that bugs me. My uncle mostly fixed the door by grabbing ahold of it and twisting it, so its better than it was.

Other minor BS, the chrome on the grille directly forward of the joint between the hood and fenders is all shot, the armrest on the passenger door randomly pops off. Its been replaced, the original one was broken but the area it hooks into is damaged so it doesn't quite stay properly. The screws have come out of the exterior door handle, but there are holes with plugs you can just pop out to fix this pretty easily.

As far as mechanical stuff, I had a water pump go around 120k, the transmission started to go around 128 and finally gave out totally at 141k, the AC compressor gave around 125k (front seal, and I suspect a clogged orifice tube). I also had the well known 4.3 fuel pressure regulator failure. Otherwise, its been pretty darn reliable. I've had it nearly 5 years, put some 60k hard miles before it started giving me any trouble. I plan to fix this one, and I'd buy another one.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts