S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have a 1994 4.3 L ss. i guess it comes with the k&n filtercharger on it. I was wondering should i or would it be worth it putting on a aftermarket cold air intake. thanx

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
i think its CPI, so K&N makes a specialized CAI for it, runs around $250 or so. it would be cheaper to make your own, and not as hard, but easier to just buy one. they really dont increase power, and i didnt get any gains in mpg, but they make throttle response a lot faster and smoother, and that was worth it to me.

·
Horsepower Fiend
151 Posts
There really is no cold air intake for our trucks. A cold air intake is an intake that has the air filter outside the engine compartment. I have seen companies try and pass off thiers as a cold air but it isnt. Some companies offer a heat sheild and say they are cold air. They arent. For a couple reasons.

1. Most trucks are used for work or get into the dirt a lot more often than your average passenger car.

2. You would have to do some cutting to run a 3 inch tube outside of the engine bay. Most people dont want to do that.

·
Norcal
120 Posts
my intake works the best bye far . I have a stock box w/ the bottom completely cut out with a drop in k&n filter.Also I cut out the firewall so my filter is actually 3/4" away from the direct outside air. Its like a vacuum. Plus!!! the stock box works as a great heat shield

·
Norcal
120 Posts
I had a k/n Cone it sucks.... If you feel the filter after a drive, it is melting hot. Just like the top of my stock box, but the air coming in my truck is almost completely outside air, rather then 75% hot air and 25% of some worthless cold air that is allowed in naturally.

·
Norcal
120 Posts
even if u run a 3" tube it isnt as good as the stock recatangle size, this creates such a great vacuum... You can actually hear my inatake.

·
Horsepower Fiend
151 Posts
The Intake I made actually lets the filter sit right in front of the headlight and turn signal. All the way down in the pocket. Although the drop in filters are great I have one in my Tahoe and Turbo Beetle. But the wife doesnt drive the S-10 so I can do whatever. I may cut a 3 inch hole right there at the bottum and build a real cold air intake tube with the filter "Outside" the engine compartment

·
Primed And Ready
345 Posts
what are u guys using for the 3" pipe iw as thinkin exhaust tubign then get it powder coatede my neigbour cna get it done for real cheap for me sound good?

·
Horsepower Fiend
151 Posts
3 inch cold rolled mild steel is what I make mine out of.:welder: I was suppose to have mine powdercoated but after I put it on I didnt want to take it off. Big difference over the stock box :racing:

·
Norcal
120 Posts
I just think that that stock box deflects/absorbs alot of the heat. I believe the hole coming ito the stock box is 3" so im already getting cold air but the shape of the box os what creates that vaccum rather then just a 3" hole outside the engine compartment.

·
Horsepower Fiend
151 Posts
By all means. I would bet that your stock box set up with the bottum cut out probably allows close to the same hp as an aftermarket intake no doubt about it. I just didnt want to cut up my factory parts is all

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
PVC for life!
I love the cheapo route....

Anyway moody you could probably make a REAL cold ram-air type intake with the setup you have now pretty easy.

I thought about trying that, but on 1st gens there's no room to route it out the bottom-the frame is in the way.

·
Registered
148 Posts
with an electric fan you have much more room between the water pump and the radiator.... like atleast 3-6" worth of room... like room enough for an intake pipe.... or two.

-hammer

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its ok i just recently bought a turbo kit and the intercooler sticks out a little under the air dam. so i dont need a cold air intake anymore.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts