S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best cold air intake and please state your reasons for what you think. I saw some review in a magazine for a Air Raid CAI, supposed to be pretty good, Ive also seen a lot of people use K&N. So which one?

Thankx, Nick

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I had the airraid on my Xtreme when i used to have it. I bought it because it was cheaper and very simple install. I noticed small gains but you will always notice small gains because CAI and intakes in general dont do a whole lot for the 4.3L motor. The CAI hype is that exactly....a hype you might notice a 1-3 hp increase but virutally nothing at the wheels. I have learned a lot since i got rid of the Xtreme about how motors really work.
Don't get me wrong though a nice CAI will only benefit your motor but i think that many people exaggerate the gains from an cold air intake upgrade.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
the CAI primarily increases throttle response a LOT. however, without a better exhaust system, its really not going to do anything else. i had a K&N FIPK2 on my CPI, and it cost $300. ill be making my own next time.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I just got a Volant intake. I used to have a drop in k&n filter and that worked nicely for a long time. With the Volant, the motor seems to have better throttle response and picks up better throughtout the rpm range. Of course I have no hard dyno numbers to back this up. Just the "butt dyno" :D I think Knowklew is right about the CAI hype. They probably all give better throttle response and 1 mpg better and a 1-3 hp increase. It's probably a matter of brand loyalty or how they look and price. The K&n FIPK was really expensive, not like the Volant was any cheaper. But I got a deal on mine from a guy here on the forum who sold it used. And the Volant actually seels against the radiator support where the factory airbox sucked in cold air. The K&N has an open top that seals against the hood, but there are spaces around the sides where hot engine air can enter the intake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts