S-10 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
91 S-10 Pickup 4x4
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres my senario:

About 2 weeks ago I noticed how once in a while it idle down to almost nothing and would feel like it would stall out. Now thats pretty much gone with a few relapses.
I timmed it last week at -3 degrees becasue it pinged at 0.
Now today I was driving and and code 42 pops up but nothing feels wrong? So I shut it off turn it back on, and it seems like has no power and pings like it never has before. I know code 42 is where the ECM wire is either frounded or open or I checked to see if that wire was loose. It's not. Checked the distributor hild down bolt. Tight. So I disconnected the battery and reconnected it and seems to run better but I know it will start again later. What could cause code 42 to be shown. Also for some reason as all this happening my tranny seems to be acting up too. When you go to kick it down it will kick down for about a second then go back into whatever gear it wants. Also when your driving in overdrive and back off the gass, it automatically downshifts now? Normally it wont do anything until I give it more gas to kickdown until it want to back into overdrive. Anyway can some one please help.

·
Registered
476 Posts
what is the exact definition of the code? if your truck is pinging at the stock 0 degree timing setting then i would recommend doing a carbon cleaning. you probably have serious carbon build up. did you adjust the timing 3 degrees BTDC or ATDC?

·
91 S-10 Pickup 4x4
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also ran Seafoam about a month ago and nothing. 3 degrees BTDC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts