S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Chevy Rules!
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I step on the gas in any gear I am not going. Instead it reves the engine up as if the clutch is pressed in and then about one or two seconds later it will go. Am I loosing my clutc or something else?

·
s-series owner
70 Posts
The one way I know how to check is
while the engine is running, put the
transmission in 4th gear. If the clutch
is still good, the engine rpm should drop
considerably. First, I would check the
master cylinder and slave cylinder.

·
s-series owner
70 Posts
The truck doesn't have to be moving to
do this test. You can do it while idling
in your driveway.
Make sure you have room in front
of your truck in case it tries to take off.
Just do everything I wrote in the last

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
does sound like the clutch is gone. be prepared to bend over. You will get screwed doing it yourself, or paying someone. It's a bitty to yank the tranny, especially since you have the transfer case in the way.

With all the mods you have, the clutch wore down quick, trying to haul them 31s around is probably what did it. I would suggest getting either a ram or centerforce when you replace it. And resurface the flywheel.

good luck.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I too would suggest getting a Ram or Centerforce clutch. The performance clutches last mucho longer than stock.

·
Chevy Rules!
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Follow up. I took to the dealer because it went totaly out. 1000$ I was going to get a centerforce but it would have been 2 weeks to get one. O well next time.

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
GOOD GOD!!

Did they use any lube?? I mean on your ass!! Dude, that is over board! The clutch and pressure plate probably cost them $75, then it was all labor from there. Reckon their mechanics are eating good....

sorry to hear about the wallet kill, but glad you got it back up and running.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
The hydrolic clutches work the same way as a mechanical one just a diffrent way to move the fork.

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
There is no pivot or fork in the hydraulic clutches I have seen. Those items are high wear, low reliablity, so when the hydros came out, they were the first thing to get the boot.

On mine, the slave cylinder is wrapped around the input shaft of the tranny. When the clutch is pushed in, the cylinder extends pushing the throw out bearing into the pressure plate.

I am not a master mechanic but someexperience doing different model vehicles, so I could be wrong.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Hotwire said:
There is no pivot or fork in the hydraulic clutches I have seen. Those items are high wear, low reliablity, so when the hydros came out, they were the first thing to get the boot.

On mine, the slave cylinder is wrapped around the input shaft of the tranny. When the clutch is pushed in, the cylinder extends pushing the throw out bearing into the pressure plate.

I am not a master mechanic but someexperience doing different model vehicles, so I could be wrong.

Well. They musta changed them in the 2nd gen's cuz I know the 1st gen's use forks and the slave cyl is external on the tranny. I was just bleeding the slave cyl on my dad's 90 last week.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts