S-10 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
my truck isnt dropped but im swapping in a 5 spd and had a shop make the fittings and 6' of ss hose for 18 and shome change.

The slave is for a 90 z71 and im using the stock 94 master.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i know its an old post but man this just saved me a ton of money having replaced already the slave and master i found my line has 2 pinholes in it .im so happy to see there is a cure for it .

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Tim- where did you get the 90* fitting?
The guy took the part where the hard plastic is and cut that off and brazed on the fitting.

·
Audi Tech
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
i know its an old post but man this just saved me a ton of money having replaced already the slave and master i found my line has 2 pinholes in it .im so happy to see there is a cure for it .
This thread keeps getting updated with more alternatives. I really like using the old fittings with a braided line crimped. This is all about helping people who run into issues with clutch lines.

Tim-pretty neat to see a custom fitting.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Thanks The hose and fittings are from a local hydro supply shop that i know the manager so thats why i only paid 18 and some change. I went to get the hardline for the slave since he was out and i came back he was done on the 90* fitting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
when my plastic line blew 2 years ago i just cut out the section that had the hole and used compression fittings to put it back together, never had a problem with it
What kind of compression fitting did you find that fits this line? That's the kind of solution I want to try first.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
go to autozone, advance, napa or your parts store and ask for a compression fitting that fits the line. Make sure to bring one end with you and compare to the compression fitting. I think its a 1/4" dont quote me on it. lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
:(

I went to a few parts stores looking for it. They have compression fittings that match the inside diameter and compression fittings that match the outside diameter but none that fit the thick-wall plastic tubing right. They're all made for metal tubing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
:(

I went to a few parts stores looking for it. They have compression fittings that match the inside diameter and compression fittings that match the outside diameter but none that fit the thick-wall plastic tubing right. They're all made for metal tubing.
I found the compression fitting. I bought one a year ago for my fuel line and they have changed since...now they have an integrated tube that fits the inside diameter, but only if you're using metal tube. At least, at parts stores that's how it is. A hardware store had the old style with nothing for the inside diameter. They also had separate inserts that fit the inside diameter; I bought them to help prevent it from being crushed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I damaged the plastic section of the clutch hydraulic line running from the master to slave cylinder, and I want to try this fix because I absolutely cannot find the line I need sold anywhere. I have a 92 S10 pickup with the 4.3L. I looked on LMC and they have a whole assembly (with master and slave cylinders and line, pre-bled) but it says not for vehicles coded as MY2. (From the 3 digit codes found in the glove-box) Mine is coded as this type unfortunately.

Anyway I need to know if this set-up will definitely work on my truck before I order the parts from summit. The line I have has some sort of ?cylinder? halfway between the master and slave. A mechanic buddy of mine says that he's never seen this and suggested that it may be an expansion valve of some sort. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I'm worried that if it is an expansion valve then this set-up will not work for my s10 without somehow putting that EV in there.

·
Audi Tech
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I damaged the plastic section of the clutch hydraulic line running from the master to slave cylinder, and I want to try this fix because I absolutely cannot find the line I need sold anywhere. I have a 92 S10 pickup with the 4.3L. I looked on LMC and they have a whole assembly (with master and slave cylinders and line, pre-bled) but it says not for vehicles coded as MY2. (From the 3 digit codes found in the glove-box) Mine is coded as this type unfortunately.

Anyway I need to know if this set-up will definitely work on my truck before I order the parts from summit. The line I have has some sort of ?cylinder? halfway between the master and slave. A mechanic buddy of mine says that he's never seen this and suggested that it may be an expansion valve of some sort. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I'm worried that if it is an expansion valve then this set-up will not work for my s10 without somehow putting that EV in there.
I'm guessing your talking about the gold fitting on the slave? Unfortunatly I'm not 100% on what it is. I know its a quick dissconnect, but do not know if its damper or anything like that. You may want to look at some of the above posts and see if you can find a local hydrolic shop to make you a line reusing your fittings.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Glad some people are finding this useful. With the set up I posted using the line with the 90* bend in it, it does hang down pretty far. I was looking around and came across a fitting that may be a bit tigher and allow you to use straight setctions of line
Russell Fitting 614503 which runs around $25 is a Low Profile female to female 90* -3 AN fitting.
This may be another alternative to the Russell 90. This one eliminates the need for an additional 3an union to mate the Russell 90 to a standard 3an female hose end. One less leak point in my opinion. What I am about to use on my line swap. Thanks for this thread!

http://www.amazon.com/Earls-966303-90-Degree-Swivel-Adapter/dp/B0002M9KWU

·
Registered
286 Posts
dumb question but does the russell fitting #640281 work for an 98+ master cylinder?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yes it does. I juts installed it yesterday on my '00. Tight fit as I would expect, but it fits perfectly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i have a 96 s10 2.2 and i CANNOT remove the line from the tranny this is causing major headach i understand it works alot like a PTC fitting right? and help would be awesome

61 - 80 of 96 Posts