S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tired of being slow
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I put a post up about my clutch making weird noises. What happened was I spun a donut in some sand and immediately afterward my clutch started grinding and became about twice as hard to push in as normal. The only reply I got on this board was to check my clutch fluid (it was fine) and clutch fluid wouldn't make it start directly after that donut anyway unless there was a huge coincidence because there were *no* problems before then.

So I didn't know what to do. I just kept driving it, as I (unfortunately) became used to the problem. Yesterday while backing out of my driveway, I noticed it was squealing extremely bad when I first started it (it never did that before) and when I pushed the clutch in it would stop. I shifted into reverse and backed out, then when I went to take the truck out of reverse, it pushed all the way down and got stuck. I would lift my foot a little and it stayed down. I pulled it out with my foot from behind, managed to get it into first and pull back into the yard. After that the clutch would work but rather than pushing smoothly it would kind of pop in or out, and took a lot of force. My dad told me to back it somewhere else so we could get it towed and when I went to do that, the clutch apparently became stuck engaged because now the pedal moves extremely easily (obviously dead) and will not come out of neutral even though you can shift the gears all around and move the clutch. they towed it this morning, I will update everyone on the prognosis as soon as I found out.

My brother suggested that a finger broke off of the pressure plate and was floating around in there (hence the grinding) and eventually became lodged in somewhere. I think that if a finger broke off it would have screwed up a lot sooner because that's pretty big to be floating around in there. But maybe a smaller piece of metal?

If anyone has any idea what exactly is wrong or has had experience with this I would appreciate any input! Thanks.

By the way I have just over 90,000 miles.

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
I told ya to get that fixed before you break it for good....

sounds to me like one of the springs came out of the disk or maybe you blew the throw-out bearing up...I have done both in my 86...not a pretty site when you open here up....if you took it somewhere to get fixed your probably looking at $300 to $500 to get fixed...

To bad it finally broke though...:(

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
ya i mean this forum tries to help people but if no one knows its probably in your best interest to call a shop.....now your looking at a tow bill.....

·
Tired of being slow
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Luckily my dad owns an electrical business with about six trucks, so we are regulars at this mechanic shop, and they give us good prices and the tow is only $35. I still haven't heard back from them about the problem, I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks for your input.

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
damn that sucks bro...:bash: always a +when u have friends in the buisness..hope u get her runnin good again..keeps us posted

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
at least u can get a cheap tow....

·
Tired of being slow
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I didn't hear for sure, but they are keeping the truck overnight tonight so they are most likely replacing the whole clutch our doing something equally involved, because we almost always get our trucks back same day (they towed it at like 8:00 this morning). Not a good sign! Maybe I will have it back tomorrow, I just got my new amp and am really anxious to put it in =)

I also just want to say that although the 2.2 is a bit slow, it's still a really fun truck, far more fun to drive (and higher quality) than the 2.4 nissan xe I used to drive. That Nissan didn't last at all, it was flimsier than hell. After a year this month of driving it, I can say I'm overall pretty happy with the S10!

·
Tired of being slow
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got my S10 back last night. The mechanic I talked to about it wasn't really specific in telling me what was wrong, I don't think he was the one that did it. Anyway they had to replace the clutch, the throwout bearing, and the slave cylinder. I think he said the slave was going so they did it anyway while they were at it. I don't know how much this all came to as my dad got the bill (one of the few benefits of being 17), but I'm sure that was pretty pricey. Looks like I've gotta drive it easy for a while now until this clutch gets broken in. The clutch they put on feels really weak compared to the stock clutch, however, and it engages about half an inch off the floor. Kind of annoying but I guess I'll live or else adjust it.

Also just on a side note, where did everyone else run wires through the firewall to power an amp? I want to know how terrible I did mine compared to what other people did. I took a unibit and drilled a 1/2 inch hole in it under the carpet near the gas pedal, stuck a grommet in it, and ran my wires. Unfortunately that's got it kind of near the headers but I think I am okay. Haha, I probably did it really bad but I was frustrated as hell and it didn't turn out as bad as it sounds.

By the way I think I fried the amp while hooking it up, the hot touched the amp itself and sparked and it won't turn on now... :bash:

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
A. check your fuses
B. don't power the wired until it's hooked to the amp
C. I ran my wire next the wire harness on the drivers side of the firewall.

·
Tired of being slow
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked the amp fuse, it looked fine. I didn't bother checking any other fuses because it goes straight from the amp to the battery so I didn't figure it had anything to do with any other fuses. I will definitely hook the power up last next time. First amp I ever installed... learning from mistakes, haha. I seriously don't know what to do next though. How can I determine if my amp is really gone? Should I try replacing the amp in a friend's car with it to see if will power in his? That's all I can think of, all my connections seem fine.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Test your connections with a test light to make sure you are still getting power and that you have a good ground.

·
Tired of being slow
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used a volt meter on the battery and at the amp and got the same exact reading at both locations. Not sure about ground, but I think it is okay, I traced all my connections and it seems to be hooked up right. Should I ground to the chassis instead of the negative terminal on the battery? Right now both the stereo unit and the amp are grounded to the battery negative terminal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
DId you check to see if you have power at the rem turn on I have seen those get fried and some units have an inline fuse on that line behind the head unit. Just run a jumper from the power to the remote turn on and see if the amp lights up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts