S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a 1996 s10 2.2 5speed 2wd a couple weeks ago.

clutch grabs perfect no slip or anything but engagement point is about 1" from the top of the pedal.

some people say thats normal others say thats awful....

just a little confused wondering if anyone can chime in.

thanks

·
9" racing glass pack
1,477 Posts
Mine grabs just before the middle and has good pressure. Before i topped the clutch fluid off it would grab at the middle.

Check if your fluid is low, but yea it does sound like it's ready for a new clutch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats what i was always under the impression of. but some people must just be used to having no clutch they think its normal, but i was planning on doing one anyways,

are there any that you would recommend? i was just going to go with a factory AC Delco replacement

·
9" racing glass pack
1,477 Posts
Not sure how good the ones that Advance Auto carry but i was checking some out last night for myself when i replace the throw out bearing and they had one for around $120. Rock Auto had some for around the same price though, but with shipping added it would be a lot more i would think.

·
9" racing glass pack
1,477 Posts
Then why would you bring them up? And they can order factory original AC/Delco.
Might be something worth looking into cause of a good price. But it did have good reviews and rating so it's worth checking it out.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
MotorNut123 said:
Might be something worth looking into cause of a good price. But it did have good reviews and rating so it's worth checking it out.
What had good reviews and ratings? You didn't even mention a brand, of which they carry several.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
MotorNut123 said:
But it did have good reviews
One bozo said it's a good clutch so you're going to recommend it? You're just posting to increase your number of posts.

·
Registered
640 Posts
odds are this is a stock clutch from '96 with x amount of miles, go with oem from your local parts store. if they last that long why bother with anything else unless there is a better warranty of course but you get the point.

releasing at the top is a sign of wear every standard i had released down low after replacing the clutch.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
MotorNut123 said:
nope, just giving him a couple places that carry clutches at good prices. Go mind your own business
He didn't ask you where he could buy a clutch. He asked for a recommendation. He could just as easily have searched an auto parts site if he was just looking for a place to buy one. Your post had no use whatsoever except to increase your number of posts and (once again) try to look knowledgeable.

Stick to identifying Mustangs by their "front quarter panels."

·
Registered
916 Posts
My advance auto clutch has served me well in my s10 for about 3 years now. Now sure of the brand offhand but it was whatever was cheapest lol I also purchased a clutch disc from rockauto for a 2.4l chevy cavalier but I bought that car to flip so I couldn't tell you how long it lasted. I do remember the rockauto clutch has "flywheel side" printed on both sides of the disc so watch out. The clutch in my beretta had that printed on both sides too but I didn't realize it until after I installed it backwards and and started questioning where these aluminum chips in my bellhousing were coming froma couple weeks later. It ended up just cutting clearance grooves in my aluminum flywheel until it had enough clearance to engage. whoops! flywheel still worked fine after I split the engine and trans and flipped the disc around. highly unlikely anyone would be that lucky with a regular steel flywheel.

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
sorta late on this but a Sachs clutch is what i have on mine. think i got it from carquest or something.

engagement point should be close to the top, in a hydraulic clutch system it adjusts as it wears down, so engagement should always be the same unless its completely trashed.

after i replaced mine the engagement point is just about to the top of the pedal, same as it was before replacing it.

·
9" strait pipes...
2,929 Posts
Before i topped the clutch fluid off it would grab at the middle. Check if your fluid is low, but yea it does sound like it's ready for a new clutch.
lol. your fluid level was so low it let air in the system, then you took the slave off and pumped the piston out of it by pushing the pedal down a bunch of times with the slave unhooked. then nothing would work and you had no idea why. go get [email protected]@ked.

back on topic
ive had great luck with sachs. ive installed a few hundred over the years and only had one "funky" one out of the box, and never had any comebacks. delco or exedy would be my other recommendations.

rockauto-$125 to my door for the sachs. http://www.rockauto.com/

1 - 20 of 30 Posts