S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just bought a 91 Sonoma yesterday with the 2.8 V6 and 5 speed. This is my first S10/Sonoma style truck. I’ve noticed the clutch lets out high. Is this normal for these trucks? Runs and drives good, no slippage or anything, just high on the pedal.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
As in you just barely press the pedal and the clutch disengages? This is a hydraulic system and that sounds good to me, every one I have had that was working good has released pretty high. My 91 I bought a couple weeks ago you have alot of pedal travel (like 1/2 way down) before it will release, but this is my first S10 in 15 years.

·
Been there Done it
9,520 Posts
That's usually an indication the disc is worn down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was afraid of that. I’ve ready several people say it was normal for these trucks, but wasn’t sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that for a hydraulic clutch as well? I’ve heard a cable or linkage clutch getting higher up the pedal, but I thought a hydraulic clutch wouldn’t change the biting spot.

·
Mr Goodwrench's Evil Twin
541 Posts
A hydraulically operated clutch that engages at the top of the pedals travel is an indication the clutch is on it's way out. Typically with an automatic adjusting clutch you won't get any change in where the clutch bites throughout the life of the clutch. Once the biting point starts moving towards the top of pedal travel it is because there is no more self adjusting that the clutch can do. That said, s10s do seem to operate higher up in the pedals travel, so unless it is at the very top of the pedals travel, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue (clutch riding high). Also, I just noticed that there is a noise when the transmission is engaged, but if I mash on the clutch pedal just a bit, it goes away. Throwout bearing, maybe? What do you all think?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure. Mine just is high. There’s no noise when I release the clutch. Usually a throwout bearing will make noise when the clutch pedal is down.

·
Mr Goodwrench's Evil Twin
541 Posts
I have the same issue (clutch riding high). Also, I just noticed that there is a noise when the transmission is engaged, but if I mash on the clutch pedal just a bit, it goes away. Throwout bearing, maybe? What do you all think?
Yeah, that's pretty typical of a worn throwout bearing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts