S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cruisin' old school.. '82
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2001 Blazer 2WD 4DR and have issues with two gauges of my cluster, gas and oil pressure. I know they are the "air core" style gauges which sucks cause I read individual replacements are getting harder to find and they definitely aren't cheap. So of course I can just by a rebuilt complete cluster to swap but I wanted to know if the newer style cluster (started in 2003?) is compatible. If they are then I'll just look for those so I don't have to deal with air core gauges anymore.

Thanks!

·
Been there Done it
12,455 Posts
Sure it's not the oil pressure and fuel senders acting up? They're both less reliable than the cluster usually is. I don't know for sure, but most 98+ S10's are one year only clusters and can't be swapped to other years.

·
Cruisin' old school.. '82
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure it's not the oil pressure and fuel senders acting up? They're both less reliable than the cluster usually is. I don't know for sure, but most 98+ S10's are one year only clusters and can't be swapped to other years.
I wish it was that easy. I've changed the oil sender and fuel pump is new. It's the gauges themselves and from what I've read these "air core" gauges go bad fairly common when they get up in age. My oil gauge for instance is far past 80 psi mark and just sits there. One day it started to show a reading then started spinning 360 degrees a few times before finally sticking back waayy past 80 psi again.

Fuel isn't as bad and shows a reading just not correct. It'll drop well below the E red line and I'm still going strong haha. So I knew I'm not out cause before as soon as it hit E, she would have sputtered and died.

And I do hope that isn't the case cause a new rebuilt cluster for a 2001 is around 2 to 3 hundred dollars and to know it'll just have the same issue later with age (I plan to keep this one for more years than it's probably worth haha) bugs me.

Thank you for your input.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,334 Posts
Never heard of air core gauges…what makes them air core?

·
Been there Done it
12,455 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts