S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 S10 Ext. Cab LS, 4.3L, RWD
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my clstr fuse #11 has blown 8 times in 4 days. I know it's the circuit for the transmission control and that is why it is so frustrating - trans goes to limp mode and I have to pull over change the fuse and clear codes to keep going. I've rebuilt the trans and all is well there. New solenoids, new internal wiring harness. I put in a new ignition switch as well.

I'm thinking instrument panel ground or ECM is bad may be the issue. Does anyone know where clstr portion of the instrument panel is grounded to? I'm going to do a check for short to ground in the ECM by back probing the ECM when I have time. All other grounds are cleaned and good.

When the fuse holds everything works very well.

Bumpy roads make it worse and I've had this problem since I bought the truck before all of the electrical replacements too. The fuse will hold for months and then start to blow repeatedly. It has gotten progressively worse as of late and I'm really in need of some help.

Any insight is appreciated

·
Been there Done it
12,474 Posts
IIRC the PCM has only one wire from fuse 11. If it happens more on bumps that sounds like some chaffed insulation on one of the 3 or 4 pink wires. You'll need to follow them to find it.
I had a Kawasaki ATV that would die occasionally and it turned out to be a metal edge that had rubbed thru some insulation to cause a fuse to blow. I covered that area in a split piece of PVC pipe.
Look anywhere there is a potential for rubbing.

Reactions: bhef

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IIRC the PCM has only one wire from fuse 11. If it happens more on bumps that sounds like some chaffed insulation on one of the 3 or 4 pink wires. You'll need to follow them to find it.
I had a Kawasaki ATV that would die occasionally and it turned out to be a metal edge that had rubbed thru some insulation to cause a fuse to blow. I covered that area in a split piece of PVC pipe.
Look anywhere there is a potential for rubbing.

View attachment 352285
Thanks for the diagram and the direction. I'll get into it soon and see what I can find with the pink wires.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All wires in dash are good from fuse panel to body harness and from fuse panel to cluster. Next going to check voltage to ground with trans harness unplugged and then plug back in and check voltage with ecm harness from trans disconnected. Finally will back probe ecm harness. Maybe it's a shorted to ground ecm(bad ecm). I have had solenoid a and b codes thrown repeatedly in the past.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@oldeerslayer is it possible the fuse would blow because of a short from ignition to the fuse panel?

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,608 Posts
you should be looking at the wiring harness under truck and in engine bay. And more than likely the spot where the problem is will have rubbed hard enough to abraid the anti-chaff wrapping.

Reactions: bhef

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I checked voltage at the harness to the trans unplugged and it's .04v less than the battery voltage. Would that indicate a place to particularly check? From the body harness to "E" on the trans harness? Same voltage as trans harness unplugged at ecm harness unplugged and ecm back probed, plugged in, for the same cicuit.

Also, an odd thing I I'm hearing a high pitched whine near the alternator with the truck turned to run but not started.

battety voltage measured at the battery terminals is only 12.4V with ignition on. 12.66V when off. Is that normal?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thought maybe it would be relevant to include that one of my tail light bulbs stopped working then worked then burned out. I'm not sure how the clstr circuit interacts or relates to the BTSI circuit but maybe there's something there

1 - 10 of 10 Posts