S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
4.3 liter Astro
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I bought my astro (used), the starter occasionally will give a single click instead of turning over. If I just turn the key off and try again, it will eventually work. I'm not worried about that.

Recently, however, something different has been happening. When I turn the key to "start", sometimes I'll get rapid-fire clicking for as long as I hold the key in that position. It doesn't sound like the same clicking from the starter. When this happens, the radio clock resets, so I'm assuming that this is somehow interrupting battery power briefly. Again, if I turn the key off and back on, it will sometimes go away (although sometimes I have to first turn off EVERY electrical device, such as the heater fan and radio and make sure that the dome light and brake lights aren't on).

What could be causing this?

·
Registered
36 Posts
well i have heard of this problem and the guy took his car in and it something with the timing belt . But it was when he turned his key about 6 clicks would come out and then the car would start im not really sure what it was besides maybe something in the timing but if you find out plz reply

·
24HR Reflector Collector
316 Posts
sounds like you got a bad starter bro, if the vehicle is still under any warranty get it back to em and tell em you want it replaced. also sounds like your battery is on its way out. should look into buying one of them also cause if its a 92 chances are it needs a battery, replace em every 4-5 years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
clicking

If you just had clicking, I would say weak battery, or bad starter(or relay). But If sometimes you lose power to the clock, I would say it is a bad connection (loose battery terminals on the battery, or on the starter.) or corrosion. Also check your Ground wires.

Hope this helps.

·
forum idiot
49,646 Posts
Re: clicking

crashu91 said:
If you just had clicking, I would say weak battery, or bad starter(or relay). But If sometimes you lose power to the clock, I would say it is a bad connection (loose battery terminals on the battery, or on the starter.) or corrosion. Also check your Ground wires.

Hope this helps.
yeah thats all true too...check all that shit

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
stock again
441 Posts
sounds like a solenoid/starter prob to me, all except the clock resetting/having to turn everything off part. i agree that you'll probably find a loose cable on either the starter, or the batt.

·
24HR Reflector Collector
316 Posts
after you figure all this out you might want to get a new altenator so it charges you battery their only like 80 bucks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts