S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need too know your opinions, on what the best bulb to use when using clear (plain clear) tail lights, as far as brightness and durability is concerned. for example coloured glass, painted glass, led etc.
any help is appreciated

·
True Ambition
3,527 Posts
LED

IMHO

Led is the way to go unless you want cruddy orangeish lights....the color always burns of colored bulbs as far as I have seen.

:evilg: LowTech:evilg:

Evil all the time!!!:scary:

·
"GOT RICE?"
271 Posts
Well I have clear lenses and I just use normal red bulbs. They look good at first but then the red starts to fade and they look pink, so unless you feel like replacing them often I would suggest to go with Red LED's..last longer and brighter. I've been too busy to get myself a set.

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
I have to replace my bulbs about every six months b/c of fade...

I buy clear bulbs and paint them red with red engine enamel..the 1500degree stuff...They are really really red when the light up and look good at six months but they are starting to get the pinkish shade of red..

i DO NOT suggest the led bulbs. I know of to many people about burn their trucks down b/c of those bulbs

·
True Ambition
3,527 Posts
burn down

"I know of to many people about burn their trucks down b/c of those bulbs"

Xtremer,

I have the euro tails so don't really need led bulbs but was thinking of getting a set. What do you mean by burning the truck down.....

thanks

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
I have smoked clears...

what I mean is that I have two of my friends (plus heard of others) that have had wires start smoking and start blowing fuses....So literally burning them up..They bought the APC led's for the clears and that is what caused it.

So I would not recommend using them...but hey if you wanna try them, go right ahead...but I'll be telling ya, "I told ya so"...

·
True Ambition
3,527 Posts
yeh

hehe....maybe i will just skip the leds:thumbup: :uhoh:

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Thats cause they bought APC...they suck ass...If you want a decent LED, you are gonna pay top dollar, but its gonna last for just about the life of the truck...There is a company called HZ Engineering that makes the LED's that Im getting. They also make a load kit, that keeps the flash rate normal. Like I said...Top dollar.

·
True Ambition
3,527 Posts
???

Have a link or any company info??

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
well...their site is down...but I can give you prices on them...they are better than the prices that you will see on their site. They actually have a kit for the S-10's/Nomas...its 2 3157's, 2 194's and a third brake light...for $63...y2k_xtreme has the 3rd brake light...its bad ass...

·
so fresh so clean
573 Posts
Back when I had my s10 blazer with all clear tail lights what I did was buy these rubber red bulb covers and put them over my red bulbs and they looked perfect! Never faded a bit or looked bad and I had them on for like 2 years! I don't know if they still sell these but I bought them online like 3 years ago. :)

·
Custom Creation - 812
130 Posts
Yeah, they still make those red covers, and I think they suck. The ones I had always faded and melted to the bulbs, giving me a nice pink look. So now I've got LED's and they look great. Plus with LED's, there's no red "glow" through the lense during the day, because they're clear

·
so fresh so clean
573 Posts
Oh wow really? I'm suprised because mine didn't melt at all and when I took them off to get some euro tails they slid right off like they were brand new. Of course this was an s10 blazer so I don't know if that had any effect on them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
01ZQ8 said:
They actually have a kit for the S-10's/Nomas...its 2 3157's, 2 194's and a third brake light...for $63
I just got clear rear lens, and I have a bit of a problem. According to my manual I need 3057s for my stop lights. Well I went to the local auto parts store and all they had in 3057s was the clear and amber bulbs. So they told me I could use the 3157 LED bulbs made by APC. WRONG. After installing the the LED 3157s I tested them and blew the #3 fuse (twice). So now I have a problem. I have clear lens' and no red bulbs. From what some people have told me APC makes a 3057 LED but I can't find them anywhere to order them. Should I just go with the white bulbs and paint them? I also saw the red plastic covers someone mentioned in this thread at Wal-Mart. Only reason I didn't buy them was because they were at Wal-Mart, and I didn't want to take a chance on them. So my question is: Does anyone know where I can find 3057 red LEDs?

·
Travis
294 Posts
dont get led's. I bought apc led's and they blew evrey taillight fuse there was. I put bigger ones and they blew them. Plus i got pulled b/c they blew my running lights AND the flasher was blinking twice as fast. Just a pain in the a$$. Dont get them!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts