S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any ideas how i can go about cleaning this unit? Should i take out the injectors or leave them installed and should i use carb cleaner or just throw a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the gas?

Thanks,

Rob
89 S10 4.3L 4x4

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
2 cans of decent injector cleaner liquid in the tank, sea foam is preferred, then one can of spray to clean the inards of the TBI unit, but be warned it will start hard after, you can spray it down while it runs!

·
Registered
76 Posts
i just did this not to long ago.take the whole tbi unit off and take it completly apart.buy the gasket kit for it,i think its like 40 bucks.its not hard at all,i did it in like an hour for the whole process.my truck never ran better too,better gas milage and runs much smother.use carb cleaner and a tooth brush to clean the parts.leaving the unit on the truck and just spraying it down is doing a half ass job to me.its just going to make it look better.when you take it apart there's a lot of little holes and passages in there you cant get to unless you take it apart.mine had tons of carbon and stuff,trust me do it right.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking about doing that but i didnt want to screw any adjustments (if any) up by removing it, anything i need to worry about?

·
Registered
73 Posts
When you take out the IAC to clean it, you should go thru the re-learn procedure. It's very easy. Pay attention to how the diaphragm in the pressure reg goes together. And don't forget about the o-rings on the end of the fuel lines, where the mount to the TBI fittings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts