S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, so I'm trying to figure out why when I go into reverse and I'm going up an incline in Reverse I get a clanking that sounds like it's coming the back of the truck. it seemed to go away when I had less of weight inside the truck but now I'm loaded back up with tools probably four hundred pounds inside my cab . and I just went up a little bit of a incline in reverse and it seems like the clanking increased I wonder what's causing this?

·
Administrator
20,896 Posts
Clank or ping? I'd check u-joints 1st .Ext cab? Heck all joint in the driveline...trans mount. Are you lowered?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would start with joints as well. I did have a rear end fail because it had excessive wear on the ring and pinion. It would clank when going into opposite directions ie if I stopped and went into reverse it would clank. When I stopped going in reverse and went forward again it would clank again

·
Gears and Differentials
1,326 Posts
If you have an extended cab 2WD with the multi piece drive shaft then there are lots of things that can go wrong with it. If you don't find anything wrong with the drive shaft then check the pinion nut to see if it's still tight. Also check the bolts that hold the rear end to the leaf springs.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clank. I checked the u's before and had a couple other people check it too. It's an. Ext cab. Not lowered.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks big gear, I've never tried to tighten the pinion nut before. Is this going to require me to remove the axels and pull the guts out of rear end?

·
Administrator
20,896 Posts
No need to remove the axles. I doubt that would be your though. Even if it was, you can't just crank on it because of the crush sleeve. Did you check the other items mentioned?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im going to check those now, how do i check the tranny mounts & what size are the leaf spring mount bolts if you know off hand?

·
Administrator
20,896 Posts
Grab it and try to shake it in different directions...try some back & forth rotational movement also. You can unbolt the tranny mount, use a jack to raise the tranny just enough to remove the mount. If it comes out in pieces...problem solved. The rubber separates from the steel.

·
Gears and Differentials
1,326 Posts
All you need to do to check the pinion nut is to remove the drive shaft from the rear yoke. It's very common for the pinion nut to back off, but don't tighten it any more than what you are able to do with a common 1/2 inch drive ratchet. Be sure that the truck can not move when you do this. Nobody wants you to get crushed by your truck.

If you feel any loose movement in any of the U joints it's too much.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Make sure your driveshaft splines are greased (if your driveshaft has a slip joint). Sometimes they can stick and release under load, which causes a clanking noise.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The four bolts that hold the rear end to the leaf springs are tight, the tranny mount seems ok but it has a 1/4" gap on the top, the plastics still rubbery and flexible, I don't want to take out then not have a mount there huh? I see only one zerk fitting on the drive shaft and its been greased not too long ago.

·
Administrator
20,896 Posts
The back of the driveshaft will have straps or u-bolts holding the joint on. Use a Sharpie to mark the shaft and the yoke so that they can be installed in the same place. It looks like there's a lot of rust residue around the joint. If it's questionable at all, I'd take it in and have the entire d/l serviced. It's not that expensive and will save a lot of grief if the joint blows apart. You can do it yourself, but unless you've done them before, I'd let the pros do it.

When you remove the d/s, pull one of the joint caps off and take a look. I'd bet they are close to dry. At that point...replace all of them.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My left rear wheel is really really hard to rotate both ways when I'm off the ground in neutral, the right rear wheel rotates both directions easily.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmmm... I took off the brake cover and it spins normally, mega brake powder came out, must've been a locked up brake.but now when put the rear drum cover on its like the rear drums over engaged causing the difficulty rotating, I'm in neutral with no parking brake on, I wonder if this resistance is what's causing the clanking, its a sporadic resistance when rotating the rear right.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
About this Discussion
71 Replies
8 Participants
TranceAmerica
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing