S-10 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a ridiculous question but has anyone ever considered chroming or powdercoating the body of their truck? I recently saw some pictures of a completely chrome Mercedes and it prompted me to ask. I'm sure if this could be done (I'm not sure how you'd handle the plastic parts) it wouldn't be exorbantly expensive, and not entirely practicle (I would imagine it would get extremely hot, and blind people if you actually drove it) but I thought I'd ask just for giggles.

=Justin=

·
Ballin on a Budget
432 Posts
Yeah, you would defiantly blind people.

·
Fire Dawg HuA!
446 Posts
i talked to my local powdercoater...hes got some nice shit and hes done cabs and shit be4. cant beat coating cuz virtually rust free for EVER

·
I'm on a boat!
1,522 Posts
i'm pretty sure this is some kind of base and clear they came up with. its not actually chromed. i'd have to research to find it, and i am just plain lazy....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You really think it's paint and not chome? I've never seen anything like it. I've seen "chrome" paint on cars before and it always looks really "cloudy."

Hypothetically speaking, if one were to get all their body parts chrome plated...does anyone have a guess as to what the cost might be? Expensive I'm sure but can anyone come up with a nice round number?

=J=

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
There is no way that mercedes is really chrome. That is probably photo shopped because there is no way they took that exact car and flew it all over the planet to take those pics.

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
its chrome paint.

to chrome every body panel would not only be a HUGE pain in the ass, it'd probably be REALLY expensive because of all the time involved in getting every body panel perfectly smooth without using bondo before going to chrome (chrome, just like gloss black paint will show EVERY imperfection in the surface underneath, so it'd have to be straighter than any other color so as to not see imperfections). Plus, how are you gonna fit a truck cab or bed into a chrome tank? I haven't even been able to find a chrome tank big enough for a frame, let alone a cab or bed.

One other solution would be to get factory GM molds that they use to stamp all the body panels, and then stamp your own bodypanels but out of stainless steel instead of regular steel. Then just polish it til it shines like chrome :tup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The car was done by a company called Renntech Mercedes...you can check out their website here

http://www.renntechmercedes.com/

There's picturse of the chrome car on the site. seems entirely plausable that they spent big money on the car...but I don't know. I've not been able to find another instance on the internet of someone using a painting process to duplicate that effect, but I suppose it's possible.

=X=

·
Founding member of DA
5,240 Posts
someone did a bmw once

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
layinbody31 said:
its chrome paint.
I haven't even been able to find a chrome tank big enough for a frame, let alone a cab or bed.
Chromed first gen blazer frame, so yes big chroming tanks are out there :tup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I stand somewhat corrected. I don't know how they did the Mercedes, but there is a company called Alsa Corp that makes a whole line of hot paints....one is chrome.

alsacorp.com

=X=

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
s10blaza said:
Chromed first gen blazer frame, so yes big chroming tanks are out there :tup:

DAAAAAAAYYYYYYYUUUUUUUMMMMMMM where did you get that chromed at and how much did it cost you? I was going to settle for powdercoating my frame but if I can chrome the whole thing I DEFINATELY will! Let me know where you got that done at

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
some newbie over at blazin low posted it. I forgot his SN already, he said it ran him 12 grand for the frame and a whole bunch of other parts. Its a lowrider project

·
Wide N' Low
389 Posts
there is a form of powder coating that can give a chrome effect. but it isnt done witha bakeing method. one of my friends had the plastic parts on his sport bike chromed. looks sick.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts