S-10 Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
I turn.
2,566 Posts
If a club knows what they're doing with course setup there should be almost zero chance of crashing, at least with auto-X. If you really mess up you could hit a fence or a pole but generally they consider those things when setting up the course to make it safe. Sure, if you run slicks on a stock S10 you will eventually land on your roof but you should have seen that coming!

Auto-X and rally-X are usually setup as time-attack races too so you'll be alone on course and no one will hit you. I've hit cones in almost every way possible and never had more than light scuff on my front bumper.

You will eat through tires like mad but I've yet to break anything in the 25+ auto-X events I've done. That's a few hundred laps (only averaging about 1 min each though) bouncing it off the rev limiter and the worse thing that's ever happened on course was that my throttle cable popped out of its clip on the gas pedal and I had to idle it in and reclip it.

It may eventually break on the course but it may also break driving to the grocery store too. I've only seen 1 car have to be towed home since I started and it was a serious POS to begin with. The extra $4-500 a year in tires, entry fees, gas, and more frequent oil changes is well worth the fun IMHO.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sure, if you run slicks on a stock S10 you will eventually land on your roof but you should have seen that coming!
Hey now, I did not get it all the way to the roof. :eek: Just up on 2 wheels. That stunt cost me a tire.

In autocross I have only seen one real accident and it was caused by driver error. At the start of every event we are told, if you start to lose it, put on the brakes and stop. A driver in a Corvette kept on the gas and tried to steer out of a spin. Had he been on the brakes and slowing he might have lost a wheel when he hit the curb. Instead when the wheels got grip the car launched forward, hit the curb, launched the nose in the air and hit a light pole about 3 foot off the ground which totaled the car. While course design does play a part, if you try hard enough you can find a way to screw up. Like by putting slicks on a stock Xtreme...

·
I turn.
2,566 Posts
I don't blame you for using slicks but that is a good example of what can happen with them! Apparently 2-wheelers have happened a few times with stock cars running r-compounds in the club I race with so the organizers are really strict about who they let on course with them.

I haven't seen anyone wreck but I know people have gone into fences in the past at the lot we race in. I've had a few spins and lots of slides but no damage yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
why is everybody telling him to not do it? im 16 and im about to do the same thing. 1 it looks cool and 2 then u can go threw trails and have a good time. what do all yall care bout how much money he spends?

40,635 Posts
Can you read? Or no?
There's several good reasons not to do it, and nobody is "worried" about how much money OP spends. Everyone was merely stating that the money he would have to put into a s series to be competitive would be better spent on something better equipped for that type of racing stock vs. the s10 that would require a shit ton of work to be able to run with the entry level cars let alone the big dogs.

Fng's

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am new to the forums and an avid racing (sportscar racing and rally) and saw this post. when you show up to an auto-x most of the cars there are miata's but if you talk to the guys that are having the most fun, there the ones rockin' the random vehicles that don't belong on an auto-x. And rally/rally-x is the same way. I once crewed for some guys to raced a 1979 volkswagon bug and sure they weren't the fastest but they were having the time of your life. The S10 is not the best vehicle for the job but it sure would be fun...just be prepared to spend a lot more money than you think.

·
Blitzkreig.
561 Posts
I am new to the forums and an avid racing (sportscar racing and rally) and saw this post. when you show up to an auto-x most of the cars there are miata's but if you talk to the guys that are having the most fun, there the ones rockin' the random vehicles that don't belong on an auto-x. And rally/rally-x is the same way. I once crewed for some guys to raced a 1979 volkswagon bug and sure they weren't the fastest but they were having the time of your life. The S10 is not the best vehicle for the job but it sure would be fun...just be prepared to spend a lot more money than you think.

You have pictures, or are you lying?:haha:

·
Registered
413 Posts
great shots... I was all set to do a bit of auto-x and rallyx with my neon ACR up in detroit area before I had to move back to FL... just never happened

obviously this is an older thread... but people don't understand what SCCA rally-x is... think auto-x out in a field...

still the thought of "if you can't walk away from the car you shouldn't race it" still applies to both this and auto-x (stuff can and does happen... just not nearly as often as in open track events)

anyway... most stock cars will do just fine in rally-x... i'd imagine an s10 would be really fun with minimal work... a slight drop may be nice (2/3ish) but that would all depend on the conditions of where you run... toss some old snow tires on it and have a blast... could even toss on some mud flaps to look "hard core rally" guy lol... wish they had it around here... bet there would be TONS of bubba trucks mixed in with the STi and evos' lol...

·
Registered
2 Posts
rallyx is set up in a hay field s-10s work great in a hay field if you know how to drive ,better yet they don't break in hay fields like cars, not that they are indistructable they arnt but they are cheep and a decent set of tires and bilstine shocks away from better than average dirt handeling

41 - 55 of 55 Posts