S-10 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
WRC doesnt do rallycross racing...they are straight up rally stages...RallyAmerica started a European Style RallyX series formed off the popularity of the X-Games rallyX..it is wildly popular in the UK and is now gaining popularity over here in the states....there is also another for of rallyX called rallyX-over racing...which pins 2 cars against each other on a course that overlaps itself...

However, I really wish Brad would come back in here and let us know what he really wants to do here....

·
Ford Diesel Tech
432 Posts
hes talking about doing rally-X and road racing with the same setup?

doing this would be very difficult to accomplish with the same suspension setup. Typically in road racing you want a lowered wehicle with a soft set of springs and a stiff anti-sway bar to keep all your tires planted to the road and keep a low center of gravity. People think body roll is a bad thing when road racing but without body roll and weight transfer the vehicle would be very likely to flat-trac turns instead of grip the corners making having competitive times very difficult.

where as in rally-X you want a higher ground clearance and some very high travel suspension to prevent bottoming out which would cause damage especially to the weak mounting points on the upper control arms of s10's. If you find the build page for the black pre-runner S10 in the picture posted above the builder adresses this problem as the reason why s10's are not very popular in the pre-runner world of racing.

Its very difficult to build any vehicle to be competitive in multiple genres of racing. Especially genres as different as rally-X and road racing

·
You can't polish a turd.
489 Posts
WRC doesnt do rallycross racing...they are straight up rally stages...RallyAmerica started a European Style RallyX series formed off the popularity of the X-Games rallyX..it is wildly popular in the UK and is now gaining popularity over here in the states....there is also another for of rallyX called rallyX-over racing...which pins 2 cars against each other on a course that overlaps itself...

However, I really wish Brad would come back in here and let us know what he really wants to do here....
You and I are talking about two completely different types of rally-x, which is fine. There are a lot of different motorsports out there. I just have a hard time seeing the European Rally-x being accesible to any average citizen right off the street without a race-prepped vehicle, whereas SCCA rally-x is open to anybody in just about anything. It is literally just like auto-x on dirt.

I found the shortest random clip on youtube. Don't know these people but it gives a good example. Safe enough for an S-10. I'd like to try it myself someday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkSr9pHTWpU

·
Banned
13 Posts
i have rally-x'd an 2wd s10 and a 2wd mazda b2000, and i have to say the mazdas torsion bars are better than the s10s coils. if it was me i would run a lowered 4wd with a bravada t-case.

·
Banned
405 Posts
most people can't drive a stock pinto to its limits...on any surface...put them in a race vehicle and i doubt they could make it 5 feet...

most people who race (anything) are not professionals...and professionals do not race most people...

if you want to race...go buy the cheapest pos you can and go have fun...if you are a good racer (in anything) people/deals/offers will come to you...otherwise you'll just having a lot of fun....

·
Registered
3 Posts
AMEN MULE! Whats worked for me is starting with a ZR2 Blazer. You can find ZR2's everywhere, even in 2wd. I did the same as Daveman and went with coil overs. He went QA1, I went with used pensky's in the front, and used Ohlins in the rear. I spent about $400.00 on tubing, hiems, and hardware, and another $500 on stuff I can't do myself. most of my really expensive shit was bought at about 20% of the origional price for the parts.

Also, there is now an off road race track that opened up down the street from me, that does a lot of tuff truck stuff, but a lot of rally x stuff too.

When you do Rally X ADAM WILKES, they have rules for vehicle class.
If you want to sound smarter than you do, go to the SCCA website and download the pdf of the rally X rules.

·
Registered Pimp
2,326 Posts
If you want a good daily you can have fun in, id do a ZR2. But if you want to win, get a subaru. And im not talking about a STI, subarus are just as cheap as s10's. There are many on craigslist for less than $1500. I personally dont really care about winning, as long as im having fun.

Also try older eagle talons, eclipses, and 3000GT's for a little fast awd car.

·
Banned
1 Posts
i suggest you all drivers who are participant in rally-cross to not forget to keep gloves on their hands while driving. if you don't know how's gloves gone be put then simply wear motocross gloves. these are very good nice. i suggest this because of their nice gripping.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I Would say the perfect truck for this is the gmc syclone i saw the other day. No i'm not talking about ruining a perfectly good syclone. This one looks like whoever owned it in the past abused the awd capabilities of the truck. The body was completely rusted out. But admit it, a lowerd awd sonoma with a turbo'd v6 in horrible condition would be perfect. I wish i knew who owned it so i could find out if he wanted to sell it.

·
I turn.
2,567 Posts
They do OK in auto-x but they have a 4wd chassis and weigh significantly more than an equivalent 2wd so they're not great. It takes some significant suspension mods to make them handle and the extra power doesn't help as much as you'd think it would.

·
Registered
928 Posts
oh, it was a thought. Be a fun beater though. Those people next to you at the stoplight wouldn't expect a rusty p.o.s. truck would beat their car.

·
I turn.
2,567 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
[Tried to get a pic to load but no luck. Will mess with later.]

That is me with my Xtreme at an SCCA RallyCross event. Did I win the class? No way. Did I have more fun than the people saying, "You can't RallyCross an S10" Heck Yeah!!!

I AutoCross and have taken HStock Champion in my local SCCA region three years running. I usually end up in the middle of the pack overall. So when a neighbor region tried to start up a RallyCross program I had to try it. My thinking was, "If their cars can do it, surely a truck can do it!"

For the record, RallyCrossing an Xtreme in good condition was a bad idea. The suspension is very stiff and I it was like riding in a paint shaker. The center console broke free of the floor as a result. I did pull the front air dam off to keep from losing it, a good idea. A stock S10 with tall side wall off-road style tires would have been much smoother.

I had a blast, laughing the whole time. I had Falken Ziex tires on the truck and was getting no traction, it was a bit like driving on ice. I did spin the truck once.

If talking about a 2wd S10 the big problem will be the lack of traction. With only 1 tire spinning you won't go anyplace fast. You will need a posi rear or something like the PowerTrax locker to do much good at all. I am thinking 2wd Mod would be a good class for an S10.

Do not lift the truck. The Rally Safeties I spoke to would not allow them in the event.

·
Banned
405 Posts
what you gonna do when you break your dd racing and can't drive it home or to work or to school ? and it takes you two weeks to fix it ?

if you want to race buy a 2nd car...racing even at the most amerish level reguardless of the type (motorcycle, car, rc, airplane, ect..) is expensive..there is the gas to an from...the fuel for the race itself...the entry fees....the food...the replacement parts...the down time...the daily maintance..the hospital bills...you will proably need at the miniumum camping equipment..the auto hauler...the pu to tow the trailor....all the tools to maintain the racer...

some of these items will apply and some won't..the point is...it is expensive period in both time and money...

racing is a blast...more than you know...just be prepared for it...

good luck

·
Registered
78 Posts
what you gonna do when you break your dd racing and can't drive it home or to work or to school ? and it takes you two weeks to fix it ?
SCCA rallycross is designed with driver and vehicle safety in mind. Yes, there is a chance something will go wrong, but I see daily driver Volvo Wagons, Subaru Imprezas, Ford Focuses and the like running around in the dirt week after week. I think that makes the S10 an even better choice. It is a very sturdy vehicle, parts are easy to find and it is easy to work on.

All that being said, if you are barely putting food on the table and you have no other way to get around you are better off not playing around with your truck. That goes for street racing and off-roading as well.

·
You can't polish a turd.
489 Posts
There are three things everyone needs to remember when particpating in motorsports. 1) You will crash; 2) Someone will hit you; 3) Something will break. If your not willing to accept any of the three, then you might need to reconsider.

I think rallycross would teach some good skills in car control on a slippery surface. That kind of thing could really come in handy in real world driving. I would like to try it someday, but not in my current truck.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts