S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever seen a chevy s10 built or used for rallycross im 15 but im looking at a bunch of different cars for a dd but also to use for rallyX and road racing(not the illegal kind)

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
like European style rallyX? If so, you would probably get your ass handed to you with guys running Subarus and the Focus...Rally ready cars can be bought pretty inexpensively...so why waste the money to mod an S10 into one?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think he means autocrossing. So what he needs to look into is pro-touring. the S10 makes a great platform for autocrossing, since there are tons of suspension options for them. Just get a manual so you have gear selection. dont worry about making any power or upgrading the brakes till you go roadracing and get up to much higher speeds. just get as light of a truck as you can and get the suspension as tight as you can stand in a daily driver and then buy an extra set of wheels to put on performance tires for when you go to the track.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Do you really understand how much $$$ you are going to have to put into an S10 to make it competetive?

The way I see it, it would be not only a smarter decision to save up the money to get you a solid used rally ready subie or focus...rather than throw money into an S10...

·
one of a kind
1,983 Posts
^ what he said, money for s10 rally > money spent on a subaru

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
a solid axle and leafs on rally-x? I'd like to see that turn out well . . .

IT would be cool, but IMO you'd only be able to pull it off by spending well over $8000 on the truck to redesign the suspension and make it work for rally

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok so you do want an offroad/rally/daily driver thing then...I think you guys are taking it the wrong way, he cant afford a suby and he's not looking to build some kind of professional rally car anyway. So I would say look for a regular cab short bed, (you want as short of a wheel base as you can get) 4x4 preferably 4.3L V6 (you want as much torque as you can get to) matched with an auto with a small tight stall like under 3k so you can daily it with a really good tranny cooler and get some lower rearend gears if you cant find one with atleast 3.73 on it stock. just get a small suspension lift kit dont lift the body at all, you just want more suspension travel. get some good offroad wheels and tires, a bush guard with fender flares and go have fun.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Ok so you do want an offroad/rally/daily driver thing then...I think you guys are taking it the wrong way, he cant afford a suby and he's not looking to build some kind of professional rally car anyway. So I would say look for a regular cab short bed, (you want as short of a wheel base as you can get) 4x4 preferably 4.3L V6 (you want as much torque as you can get to) matched with an auto with a small tight stall like under 3k so you can daily it with a really good tranny cooler and get some lower rearend gears if you cant find one with atleast 3.73 on it stock. just get a small suspension lift kit dont lift the body at all, you just want more suspension travel. get some good offroad wheels and tires, a bush guard with fender flares and go have fun.
I think you are under estimating just how competitive rallycross racing is even at the amateur level. Even in an amateur event he would look rather silly bringing an S10 to a sport that is dominated by European automobiles.

I suggest you look here:
http://www.rallyclassified.com/index.php/cat/10

My point is this...racing in all forms is expensive, even at the amateur level...why show up at all if all you are going to do is ride around in the back. Lets also not forget that rallycross is a VERY HIGH CONTACT form of auto racing...I guarantee you having to beat back in fenders after each race....

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
yeah I don't think they also understand how incredibly poorly equipped an S10 is for autocross, the rear suspension on our trucks is probably the simplest and least effective design out there for automobiles, it's insanely cheap.

Not having an IRS your rear end is just going to hop everywhere and you'll go nowhere

driving trucks in the sand is an entirely different story

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
yeah I don't think they also understand how incredibly poorly equipped an S10 is for autocross, the rear suspension on our trucks is probably the simplest and least effective design out there for automobiles, it's insanely cheap.

Not having an IRS your rear end is just going to hop everywhere and you'll go nowhere

driving trucks in the sand is an entirely different story
You should explain to them what you have had to do with yours to run autoX...and you run on pavement only correct?

A rallyX course, or should I say proper one would include both pavement and dirt to maneuver the car through...also it helps to know how to lightly drift the vehicle too, not just finesse it through the corners.

·
I turn.
2,567 Posts
This is just a rant, I don't want to offend anyone but why do people think you need a supercar to race auto-X and rally-X? I have about $500 in suspension mods over a stock ZQ8, a v6 auto with some bolt-ons, and a set of used vette wheels/tires that I paid $500 for. Most of the things I bought replaced worn out parts too so the cost wasn't even that high.

I consistently run higher than mid pack in raw times in every auto-x event I enter (20+) and most of those in the upper end of the pack are on race tires. As I've gotten more experience I've either won or came second in ESP (last ~12 races), always over cars that weighed a lot less, had more HP and had much 'better' suspension designs. I've also raced it on snow in our winter series and won the RWD class so it's not just dry pavement stuff. There are other people auto-Xing S10's that are competitive as well.

Events like these are split into classes for a reason - you don't have to race a 4 cyl, RWD truck with street tires against a modded AWD STi on slicks. I'm guessing there's a RWD class in rally-x and everyone else in there is going to have huge handicaps with their cars too. The rally-x events I've seen have had the whole range of cars from rusty civics to brand new STi's. People kick ass in this style of racing by driving well, not by having the fastest car. A guy in our club regularly destroys new GTRs and ZO6's with a nearly stock 1990 civic that smokes like mad.

Being that this is an S10 forum I think we should encourage people to drive S10s, not tell them to go buy a subaru! They can hear that from the hoards of import guys, why are we joining in and spreading the dogma? Get a good set of tires and an LSD and have fun. Racing is a blast no matter what you're driving and beating people with a truck makes it even better. Also if you lose with a truck you can always use that as an excuse - it's the perfect race vehicle!!!

end rant :haha:

·
s-series #2?
2004 Blazer ZR2 w/ nv3500, 5.3 LM4 swap
24,788 Posts
sure, its a cheap vehicle so its a great choice to get into rally/autoXs.
as mentioned, classes are there to make it more even.
driving skill > car in most rallyx courses from what i've seen.

·
m m m myyyyy sonoma
193 Posts
I got first place in a winter rallycross in an stock Volvo 760 wagon. I've done it in a shitbox Plymouth Duster with the exhaust draggin on the ground, and a brand new Ford Fucus, and some other ones that I forget. An S10 can do it, too. I'd take my Sonoma to one, but I don't want to kill the old slushbox. If it was a manual, hells yeah.

·
You can't polish a turd.
489 Posts
The rallycrosses that I've seen are run just like an auto-x but on dirt so it is safe and you shouldn't be trading paint with anyone. One car at a time and your time is accumlative, not just fastest run of the day. They just started up rallycross in my former Hawaii region SCCA at the site of the new track. It's basically run what you brung. Heck, I saw a Honda Ridgeline out there. Wasn't fast but at least he was doing it and having fun.

I've never done it but from what I've seen in the vids I would advise stock height with some good shocks and maybe some all season/off-road type of tires though because you will be on dirt and going over bumps at speed. Might want to think about a good skidplate for when you hit a big bump or small jump. That way you could still retain your DD capability and not drop a lot of $$ into it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts