S-10 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 1986 s10 4x4 with a 2.8 60° v6 and a 700r4 transmission. I got bored and started browsing around looking at different chevy engines online and I found the 3.6 lfx v6. I started to look at the specs and I was blown away seeing it had roughly 300 hp and 275 ft pounds of torque! Compared to my current engine having only 115 hp and I believe 95 ft pounds of torque that would be a major upgrade! So I started to look around to see what I would need but I couldn't really find anything. So my question or questions to you guys is what do you think it would take and do you think it would be worth it? Considering the weight of the engine I think stock suspension should be fine, but i am worried about transmission more than anything. Do you guys have an recommendations? Transmissions allowing me to still have 4wd? And do you think I would need different axles? My s10 currently has 373s in it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Been there Done it
10,027 Posts
Swapping that new of an engine is just starting to be experimented with. It is a major undertaking and something currently best left to the experts. Particularly in a 4wd.
If you are a highly qualified tech and fabricator with time and money to burn, go for it. We'd love to see how you do it. Start a build thread for us to follow.
We have a 2016 Equinox LTZ AWD with the LFX 3.6 and the included 6 speed trans. It's a fun ride if you have to drive a mid size suv. Engine has a surprising amount of HP. Especially once you get the RPMs into to the power band. Averages around 20MPG, but my right foot has a detrimental influence. It's stable as a rock over 80.
It's a shame they dropped the 3.6 in 2018 for a less powerful turbo 4 banger.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts