S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are those door hinges on the drivers side with the pins/bushings welded on or bolted in ? if they are welded on would you need to re-weld them back in or re-bolt them back on the actual body ?

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Are those door hinges on the drivers side with the pins/bushings welded on or bolted in ? if they are welded on would you need to re-weld them back in or re-bolt them back on the actual body ?
What exactly are you trying to do. Your being very vague. The hinge brackets are welded in place yes. Why are you wanting to remove them? Have a pin wear through the bushing on ya and egg the hole?

That reason or if you were doing suicide doors are the only reason i could see you removing the bracket. If your changing your pins and bushings you dont remove the bracket. You remove the pins and bushings and reinstall.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hinges are starting to rust off of the body and they need to be welded back in place. My guess is whoever owned the truck before me, rode with the bushings and pin already damage, and this caused the door hinges to start cracking off the actual body with the help of rust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to remove the hinges and weld new ones back in, because there is a crack on the interior. I will post pictures up tonight of the damage.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I want to remove the hinges and weld new ones back in, because there is a crack on the interior. I will post pictures up tonight of the damage.
Well exact placement is going to be a bitch. There has to be an engineering drawing out there with exact position. But if it were me i would use a straight edge and mark w/ sharpie parallel lines extending from the hinge in both up and down directions and foreward and aft. That way once you remove the bracket and clean up the area, you can put your straight edge back up there and re-draw the exact placement. tac weld it on then temp install the door pins and check for alignment. Thats going to be a pain in the ass, good luck man.

if i were you i would probably choose to pull the door, use a portable sand blaster on the rust. then grind the welds off on 3 sides, reweld those 3 then do the same on the other one. then prime and paint. Thats if the door pin bushing holes are good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My question is, do they sell those hinges seperately at like an aftermarket company. I talked to one of the guys here and he said the hinges come with the whole unibody.

·
Press Z or R twice
1,080 Posts
youll probably get a better response if you post in the correct section, just sayin

·
always something new
54,779 Posts
My question is, do they sell those hinges seperately at like an aftermarket company. I talked to one of the guys here and he said the hinges come with the whole unibody.
i've never seen seperate hinges.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, here I found a repair kit that does not need to be welded. Looks like you just drill through the body and bolt it in since it comes with washer plate, washers, bolts, and nuts. My concern is, what is that spring that needs to be taken off. When I look at it on my chevy s10 2001, there is no spring that I see anywhere around the hinge area that needs to be taken off with the "special" tool. I aread up an article on here for the chevy s10's that you can use a special tool to take off the spring, but I don't see a spring anywhere. Is that spring only on the older models ? I also found a site here that sells the hinges, and it's showing that the spring is included.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

·
Bobby B!!!
320 Posts
it may not be there. mine isnt there any more since i did my hinge pins/ bushings

1 - 12 of 12 Posts