S-10 Forum banner

chevy power book says were morons

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  syclonedave 
#1 ·
i was readin the chevy power book today at the local speed shop. it said the 2.8 60 deg V6 is easily capable of producing 225 hp! it was like 20 bucks, but im gonna go back and get that sucker!

#6 ·
Older issues of Hot Rod and some other mags. Today those mags have pretty much quit doing this stuff and have left it to the truck mags. And the truck mags, suck, boltons only boltons and when they do other stuff they dont cover it all, leave it to open, and print the wrong data. The 2.8 was in a camaro, which was a stcok motor for them in the late 80's. They upped the compression to around 11:1, added a cam, did porting and polishing, headers, exhaust and added larger injectors to a multiport system and got if I remember right somewhere around 250 horses. There was some more to it, but not much. I have seen some stuff on the new 4.3's that quite similar, the biggest draw back is our injection setup. Without using the splayed heads that are available for our motors, using 10:8 compression ( 10:5 pistons and decked heads) the comp cam and 1:6 rockers, a custom tune, headers, pulleys, fan, MAF, porting and polishing and something weird to the injection setup, they gotten 275+ on the 4.3.

#8 ·
gonna cost me $400 to port polish heads, gasket match intake and edelbrock headers, then also degreeing cam and machining valve stem seals for high lift cam.

Haven't had money or balls big enough to get that deep into my daily driver.. although cam has been sitting in my garage for 4 months now.

Also remember, the guys at gm have unlimited access to flow benches, dynos and other high dollar tuning equipment that would cost us a lot o money to use and tweak our trucks.

#10 ·
Sent my spare heads to CFM today.

Creative Flow Management in Indianapolis. They are gonna do their Stage III port/polish/intake match, machine for 3/8" rocker studs and machine valve guides for more retainer/seal clearance.
Gonna cost $600 plus $40 shipping.

#13 ·
Re: Sent my spare heads to CFM today.

blueskyjack said:
Creative Flow Management in Indianapolis. They are gonna do their Stage III port/polish/intake match, machine for 3/8" rocker studs and machine valve guides for more retainer/seal clearance.
Gonna cost $600 plus $40 shipping.
I;ve never heard of them and I'm from Indy

#14 · (Edited)
Here is there web site.

http://www.cfmperformance.com/services.htm
Check out the bulletin board. You'll see Mike Starke is the tech that answers the questions, he is the one I've spoken with. You may not of heard of them, but he appears to know his business to me.

#16 ·
my 2.8 should be at 200 or more when it's ever put together. the cfm guy seems to know his stuff. i've seen a 600+hp 4.3 in a dragster. nothing close to streetable or affordable. i've met the guy who does the 4.3. he's doing my 2.8.:)

#18 ·
The faster (rpm) a engine can spin the more HP it can make (within reason). This has little to do with torque, which is really what move things.

#19 ·
syclonedave said:
The faster (rpm) a engine can spin the more HP it can make (within reason). This has little to do with torque, which is really what move things.
Um....actually, it has ALOT to do with torque. Horsepower is calculated from Torque produced at a specific RPM, being as Power is Work per unit time (time, RPM -- revolutions per minute). If an engine loses its breathing ability at high RPMS(like the 4.3's do), the torque drops and so does the HP.

#20 ·
syclonedave said:
The faster (rpm) a engine can spin the more HP it can make (within reason). This has little to do with torque
ricer

#22 ·
J_Rod said:

Um....actually, it has ALOT to do with torque. Horsepower is calculated from Torque produced at a specific RPM, being as Power is Work per unit time (time, RPM -- revolutions per minute). If an engine loses its breathing ability at high RPMS(like the 4.3's do), the torque drops and so does the HP.
[/
QUOTE]

Correct ..... AND small motors don't produce much torque but rely on RPM to obtain their HP #'s. Which takes longer to build compaired to some nice large Detroit iron. And of course it all matters on how well the air pump can breath.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.