S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
I should have had a V8!
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to start a fun little thread to see what, if any, extreme conditions you have put your littel 4-banger through and it still keeps on going.

'96 single cab 5-speed
Current mileage: 176,250

first 5 years drove 3000 miles a month

30k miles....hooked on to a 20' flatbed trailer and pulled a tractor and shredder weight: ~12,000lbs top speed: 50 mph in 4th

50k miles....drove for 3 weeks with a busted u-joint before realizing that's what it was!

150k....slave cylinder starting to go out, clutch pedal doesn't always engage....no worries, it's still going!

170k....drove for 2 weeks on 2 cylinders (3 and 4) coil pack for 1 and 4 was out, payday wasn't till friday
Top speed: 60 mph in 5th....down hill
Shakes up your chocolate milk just fine though!

173k....only running on 3 cylinders now (2,3,4) control module out...damn things are expensive!
Top speed: 92 mph (limiter)
Shakes the truck like a V8!

176k....those same 3 cylinder still running great! (still chirps the tires into 2nd!)

Overall condition: A/C doesn't work (quit at 40k; 4 compressors, 2 hoses, 4 accumulators later it still doesn't work)
Body and paint still beautiful
A few rock chips in the windshield
Needs new seats, carpet and headliner

So much for mine. We've been through hell and back but still going down the road. Pretend you have a V8, every stop light is a chance to improve your reaction time, and run every gear to the limiter! It's impossible to tear these little guys up! Of course things are only impossible until you do it!

:jawdrop:

·
Do I need a gas mask?!
5,780 Posts
i have one statement

i am driving mine!

hahaha i drive it hard

i have oned mine for 1 year this month. i bought it at 127,000 miles and now it has 148,000 i replaced the head gasket, still has original clutch, and the funny thing is, the pirelli tires that are on it have 44,000 mile son them, they are 40,000 mile tires and i have done 2 burnouts in it. still has tread, motor still strong... just wussy... the 2.2 maybe not so powerful, but its a tough motor for an american truck!

·
I should have had a V8!
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah! Forgot to mention the head gasket thing! 120k I had a water leak from the back of the head that was running down the back of the block.....one bottle of stop leak stuff and 50k miles later we're still going without a leak!

·
I should have had a V8!
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And don't forget this! GM Bulletin Confirms 1994-97 Vehicles that Have an Engine Knock, Rattle and Tap Noise and Lose Power, Likely Have a Defective 2.2L, Four-cylinder Engine. Of course I'm just now finding this out! You think GM would still honor the replacement plan? The bird of paradise will nest in my hair before that happens.

·
Store bought ain't custom
516 Posts
You heard about the seatbelt recall thing on some of the s-10s? Aparantly the bolt that holds the buckle to the truck shears off in accidents. Nice, eh?

·
Registered
242 Posts
razzamasnazz said:
And don't forget this! GM Bulletin Confirms 1994-97 Vehicles that Have an Engine Knock, Rattle and Tap Noise and Lose Power, Likely Have a Defective 2.2L, Four-cylinder Engine. Of course I'm just now finding this out! You think GM would still honor the replacement plan? The bird of paradise will nest in my hair before that happens.
we should get more info on this!!!..mines about to go...lol

·
Registered
408 Posts
1995 S10 Auto w/ac Ex Cab LS

70,000 - New tranny
72,000 - New Head Gasket
78,000 - 2 U-Joints
80,000 - New (Used) Engine
81,000 - Another New (Used Engine)
82,000 - Head Gasket Again
86,000 - Timing & Valve Cover Gaskets
90,000 - Tranny Flush ---> Amsoil
98,000 - A/C Evaporator went
98,300 - Good as of now

·
I should have had a V8!
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what I'm looking for is those people who have abused their trucks by placing them in situations where they are well beyond factory specification. I'm trying to prove a point that while the little 2.2 is low on power and short on mods, it is one strong little bastard of an engine!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I couldnt say from experience i baby my truck and drive like a old lady on sunday. most average im going about 14mph down the road. but if your looking for reassurance of some kind then yes these engines are mad tough ive seen racers but a hella beating on some of these engines and still work top notch. but instead of "chevy...like a rock" shouldnt it be " isuzu...like a rock" ?

·
I should have had a V8!
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RbF_dark420 said:
I couldnt say from experience i baby my truck and drive like a old lady on sunday. most average im going about 14mph down the road. but if your looking for reassurance of some kind then yes these engines are mad tough ive seen racers but a hella beating on some of these engines and still work top notch. but instead of "chevy...like a rock" shouldnt it be " isuzu...like a rock" ?

Good point!

·
Registered
355 Posts
im not sure about the 98+ but mine is a '96 and chevy had a deal wit isuzu to make engines for them.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
No, they had a deal with Isuzu to make engines for the 1st gens. the 1.9L gas and 2.2L Diesel were Isuzu, the duramax in the big trucks is like 1/2 Isuzu but the 4.3l and the 2'2L in s-10s are chevy. It it were an Isuzu POS it wouldn't have made it to 100k miles :)

·
bitch
7,884 Posts
my 97 has a whoping 57k miles!

so far its got a bad egr gasket, donut gasket, engine knock and bad oil pressure pointing toward bad main bearings! only time its "ran hard" is when i hit the limiter on the highway.

·
Autocross'n Member
363 Posts
I've been autocrossing my 98 for about 4 years now.That means countless holeshots,and banging the rev limiter through 1st and 2nd several times a day.And lets not forget the occasional missed shift.Now,at 63,000 miles,I can still say I haven't had any problems yet.(I hope I'm not jinxing myself here)I allmost wish the d*mn thing would blow so I could have a good excuse to drop in a bigger engine.But the way this truck is running,that's probably not going to happen any time soon.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts