S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's the story. My light came on, but I noticed that all my gauges are functioning properly, and reading good. Anyone able to shed some light on this?

BTW, it's an 87 with a tbi 2.8.

Thanks in advance, Josh.

·
UNBANNED BITCHES!!
2,007 Posts
yttaf said:
ever figure this out??? I have the same problem.
lmao...this post is 9 months old dude..........

also just cause the light says "check gauges!"...doesnt mean that the "gauge" is messed up lol.....its probably a sensor or something thats reading incorrectly......go to a parts store and have them read your check engine light with a scanner for FREE. :rolleyes:

·
Pushrod for life!
3,480 Posts
on a 1st generation you can read the codes yourself by bridging pin A and B on the ALDL

·
Banned
1,213 Posts
The Check Gauges light comes on before any of the gauges go into the red. It pops on when you get to 240 degrees and the gauge reds at 260. Just like how the shift light comes on when youre not in gear and revving the motor sometimes and the speedo goes to 10-15.

·
Registered
760 Posts
devilman13xx said:
check gauges usually means either out of gas or temp or oil pressure is too high. check engine is sensor related
Let me get this straight, you're saying the check gauge light will illuminate if and when your low on gas? If so, I've always wonder why a 93 vehicle (my truck year) doesn't have a low fuel light. I understand the hot engine and low oil pressure, just verifying the low gas situation

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
In 89 the light only comes on for low oil pressure and I don't think they changed that by 93. Check your second oil sending unit, the smaller one..

·
Registered
35 Posts
well all my gauges work correcly. the only thing that isn't working on my dash is my right turnsignal bulb in the cluster is burnt out.

The light is on all the time from the time I turn on the key to the time I shut it off.

·
Sideways S10
224 Posts
Don't wanna whore but I'm having the same problem maybe yours is similar.... except I think mine is Voltage related.... it goes on when i'm at a little when the volts go low and once i hit the gas it goes off... i have a digital volt meter and its fine as long as its getting some sort of charge slightly.... like it'll be off when i'm crusing with the foot of the gas but once i stop it comes on and my volt gauge in the cluster works fine. Does anyone know what this is signs of? Maybe the alternator growing weak?

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
yttaf said:
well all my gauges work correcly. the only thing that isn't working on my dash is my right turnsignal bulb in the cluster is burnt out.

The light is on all the time from the time I turn on the key to the time I shut it off.
The lightr uses a different seding unit than the gauge, so it can be bad, and the gauge still work. mine was and I had the same issue on an 89

·
Registered
35 Posts
Where is the oil pressure sending unit on the 2.8 tbi? I noticed mines bouncing around alot, so i think I need to change it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The check gauges light means to look and see if the temp is hot, the check engine light is on, its a dummie light or a reminder

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Tonsch_s10 said:
The check gauges light means to look and see if the temp is hot, the check engine light is on, its a dummie light or a reminder
Funny since when I looked it up in the wiring diagrams, it's only hooked to the oil pressure switch

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my check gauges light. However my oil pressure gauge is low, like 7 at idle. As I give it gas the gauge goes up and the light turns off. Which leads me to believe its working correctly and I just have bad oil pressure. Any ideas as to why. I just did a rebuild. Thanks

·
(s)AINT
498 Posts
i had that same problem with my 91 gran prix

fuel sender was bad. has 2 diferent senders, one for gauge and one for light

i know this doesnt realy aply to you, but as stated above, most systems have 2 diferent sending units, one for the idiot light and one for the gauge.........

when you get a new sending unit, the parts store SHOULD ask if its for a guage or a light.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jimmy88 said:
I'm having the same problem with my check gauges light. However my oil pressure gauge is low, like 7 at idle. As I give it gas the gauge goes up and the light turns off. Which leads me to believe its working correctly and I just have bad oil pressure. Any ideas as to why. I just did a rebuild. Thanks

I am having the same exact problem after my rebuild. Did you find out what is wrong?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gonna bump this one too. I have an 1987 s15 that I am resurrecting. It has been sitting 6 years in the woods and some mice have gotten at a couple of the wires. I have replaces a ground I found chewed thru and it looks like an ac relay or fuel pump relay green wire is chewed thru too. I didn’t hear the pump prime when I turned the key but that coulda been cause the door buzzer was masking the pump prime sound. I’ll try again next week or so with the door close to hear for pump prime again.

I siphoned all the gas out and before refilling it I cranked it over and it cranks really strong. As it cranked over the oil pressure clicked up to 80! Was happy to see that so I think my oiling system is fine.

if I dump gas down the TB I can get it to start and run for a few seconds but it does out and the CHECK GUAGES light is like always on.

from this thread i think I just need to add gas and try again. I am hoping this light just comes on for low gas as one reason cause that’s the easiest fix.

Thank you guys I’ll fill up some gas into the tank and fix the green wire I saw chewed thru and close driver door primo pump to key on and listen to pump. Will probably try checking and swapping or replacing relays and fuses if necessary too

Really looking forward to getting this thing going. The fact it ran pumped me up!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.