S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "Check engine soon" light came on! What are the most ususal problems that could cause this? The Truck has only 36,000 miles and it is very well kept. Could this be spark plugs , wires or bad sensor?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Did you just fill up with gas??? I have been told a lot of the time it is the gas cap is not on right, otherwise it could be the gas. If it didn't happen after you filled up w/ gas, I think they said it is something in the emissions, like the o2 sensor or something.

DogP

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
If you remove your gas cap and put it back on, disco battery cables for a couple of minutes. If upon startup you still have the light I have heard that chevy makes it come on to remind you of major services due. will go off in a day or 2. If thats no good take it to a shop and have the codes read. There are just too many reasons to start to list them

·
Registered
804 Posts
re:

My truck has 47,000km and I've had the SES light come on like 5 or 6 times already... always it's a cylinder misfiring. I just changed my plugs today and that solved the problem. My factory (AC Delco) plugs were $H!T.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
ummm i had my light come on when one of my spark plug wires was loose, another time was right after i lit my one panel on fire,(we wont get into that right now), and onece more when i clipped an airbag wire by mistake, but all of them were fixed by disconnecting the battery and resetting the computer

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your fast response. The mechanic analyzed the truck and after much search told me that my "cam shaft sensor" was bad. So....$79.95 for engine analysis, $63.00 for labor and $110 for the sensor ( I got $25.00 off through AAA) and for a GREAT EXTORTION TOTAL of $255.00 I got my truck back...Today was my turn at getting SUCKERED out of money! Somebody bring the violin as background music to my story.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
ah!! you shouldnt have let him do it! camshaft sensor is real easy! i would have been, thank you, heres your 79.95, lata! heh

·
Scrapin Bumps In Cali
13 Posts
hey you guys do know that you can make the service engine light flash a code to tell you whats wrong. On mine you put a jumper wire from ports 5 and 6 on the computer hook up thing under the dash and it will flash a code by blinking then you look in the chiltons manuel to see what it means. I have a 95 4 banger s-10

·
"Phat"boy
1,240 Posts
AVTekk said:
ah!! you shouldnt have let him do it! camshaft sensor is real easy! i would have been, thank you, heres your 79.95, lata! heh
I am throwing this code now....what do I need to do?

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
an obd1 you can do the jumper deal with a obd2 you need a scanner which you can get for like 30 at any auto store of autozone will read for free.

·
"Phat"boy
1,240 Posts
I know what the code is...I have to fix it now and dont want to spend 300 if I can help it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts