S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1986 short bed
2.5L auto

Bought it very cheap and just fixing things for now. Replaced rear brakes, full tune up, new fluids, new exhaust manifold. Stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Manifold swapout. Ebay score for 40 bucks shipped.

new vs old

Old one had been "modified".

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Some of the southern states where there is not much snow or any at all have some solid s10s still laying around. Looks like a very nice truck to start with.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
My grandpa had an 87 just like that when I was a kid. Except his was a 5-speed and a lot rustier

·
Hot Rod Enthusiast
2,341 Posts
Looks like a great project man. How hard was it to change that manifold out? Mine needs one pretty bad..

·
Mafia Customz
748 Posts
The first thing i would do is get that bed liner out they will rot you bed out. The 2nd thing ditch the 4 banger but thats just what i would do.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Manifold was no biggie. I didn't seat the donut right so its leaking there so I need to fix that, used high temp red gasket maker on both sides of the gasket and high temp thread locker on the bolts after I chased the bolt holes and wire wheeled the bolts. Plans are to build it as cheap parts come up. Lowered, v8, bagged whatever. I have a 305 and turbo 400 I can pick up but kinda want to see how long the 4 banger lasts, its got 120k or so and a little rear main drip. It is just so cheap to keep running and the trans shifts great. Whole damn tuneup was about 150 bucks, o2 sensor, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, rear brakes, crazy cheap. I pulled the bench out of it for my rod project and threw some old buckets in the super dime. As soon as I have a way to trash the bedliner I am taking it out.

·
Hot Rod Enthusiast
2,341 Posts
Yeah man I love my duke right now! I get like 34 mpg and it never lets me down! mines got like 180k on it

·
I scrape i rub i lean
2,413 Posts
lol 120k if you are waiting for that motor to quit you will get tired of waiting lol.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Yeah man I love my duke right now! I get like 34 mpg and it never lets me down! mines got like 180k on it
I forgot to ask you a while back in a different thread........if you actually recalculated your mileage for the real short tires that you are running? I'm running 235/60/14's which are almost half an inch shorter then the stock size tires; and have to subtract 1.6 miles for every 100 miles racked up on the odometer before I can calculate mpg......that is, if I want an accurate mpg figure! LOL! I know you threw a lighter gear in the rear.....3.08's if I recall correctly?

·
Hot Rod Enthusiast
2,341 Posts
I forgot to ask you a while back in a different thread........if you actually recalculated your mileage for the real short tires that you are running? I'm running 235/60/14's which are almost half an inch shorter then the stock size tires; and have to subtract 1.6 miles for every 100 miles racked up on the odometer before I can calculate mpg......that is, if I want an accurate mpg figure! LOL! I know you threw a lighter gear in the rear.....3.08's if I recall correctly?
Yeah I never really recalculated it haha Its just an average. I should do that and see what I really get. I'm running 195/60/15 so its quite a bit shorter.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I got that donut reseated and exhaust sounds great. Was throwing a check engine light this week but I just reconnected the o2 sensor and that fixed that. Brakes have been whining and it just so happens my anniversary was this last week...traditional gift for 6 years.....is iron and candy! Score. Wife got me 2 front complete hubs assembled and front pads. Side note she completed her doctorate program and is now the smartest woman I have ever boned. haha.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Front brakes redo pics.

Tools I used minus the jack and breaker bar for the lugs.

New swag.

Old crap.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Old pads vs. new ones.

How I decompressed the caliper.

Ooo...Ahhh....chiny.

Couple of hours and brakes work great with no whining and grinding like before. Forgot to bump the little bushing halfway through the bolt hole on back of caliper on the first side so had to take it off and readjust, and I used the brake quiet grease. Works great in my opinion. Not bad for a nurse. Hah. Later boys.

·
Registered
830 Posts
i had to replace the front passenger hub on my 93 4.3 on the side of the road 30 miles from home. i was hearing a weird thumping noise so i pulled over to look and saw that 4 of the 5 studs had completely stripped out. still have no idea how that happened. wheel was bolted up nice and tight for almost a year. cool story right? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 222 Posts