S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you know you can get cheap Zq8 sway bars? Did you know that these "special" bars didn't only come in the extreme's and zq8 trucks?
EVERY SINGLE 4 DOOR BLAZER has the front bar. and 90% of them have the rear bar!!!!!!

So i have a friend with the Zq8 bars, and i have a friend with an Extreme.

My LS1 swapped and turbo'd regular s10 only has the crappy noodle front bar... needless to say i was in dire need of some, and neither friends wanted to trade :rolleyes: :rotf:

So we went to the junkyard. Needless to say, 4x4 blazers and bravadas with 4 doors have the same zq8 sway bars!!!!

So i snagged the front one, and i snagged the rear one. The 4 door blazer's sway bar also mounts behind the axle, because the tank is mid bodied like the truck. the 2 door blazer has the rear moutned tank, the front spring perches mounted outside the frame rail, and sway bar located up front.

So all i needed to do was make a couple brackets. The big fat front sway bar didnt fit without hitting the steerign gear box. So i cut up some box tube, and just extended the front bushing mount down about an inch. BINGO!!!

For the rear, all i needed to do was fab up some end link mounts. Wam Bam Thank you Ma'am!!!!!

So for $50 at the junk yard, a little fabrication, and some rolling around in the dirt, i got my "zq8" sway bars, end links, and bushings!!!!!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's cool,i payed 15 at the pull ur part for mine with all the brackets. lol
$15 beats my $50! haha, i live in New England... Cost of living is very high lmao

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bar needs to come off a 2wd blazer if it's going on a 2wd truck, 4wd ones don't fit, I tried.
Correct... Kind of... Only for the front.

It's not a direct bolt on. The front bar needs to clear the steering box. I just put a 1/2" spacer on the front bushing mounts, and all is peachy. If you're good with a welder, and a little box tubing, it's easy.

The rear, i took of a 4 door 4x4 bravada, and it fits my 2wd truck. Just need to weld on some brackets on the truck frame for the end links.

·
Registered
488 Posts
DOH!!! is there no junkyards in Canada??? that's for both bars and everything i hope.
Well there's hardly an ZQ8 trucks here, it took me a while to find my front zq8 swaybar and springs. I still don't have the rear bar, so thanks turbobandit for the tip on 4 door blazers.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do the 2wd 2nd gen blazes have the bigger bar???
New England sweet,i love their chowder lol cool sig man did u make that?
haha, New England clam chowder in any other part of the country is not real new england clam chowder... we call that MILK chowder! REAL N.E. chowder has a clear broth. :haha:

And yup, i made that signature. Thanks! Gotta love photoshop.

back on topic...

I'm not sure about the 2wd blazers... i didnt find any. Those are rare!
but for the front bar, all blazers should have the fat FRONT bar. But not all have the rear.

The 2 DOOR blazers, you can't use the rear bar (i own a 2 door blazer, so take heed lol)
The rear bar on the 2 door blazers is located IN FRONT of the axle. Doesn't work on the S10 because 1) our gas tank is in front of the axle, and 2) our leaf springs mount directly under the frame.
On the 2 door blazers, the front leaf spring mounts are located on the side of the frame, that's why the front mounted sway bars work on the 2 door blazers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
2wd blazers may be hard to find up north but if you come to the south they are all over the place. i just got both bars and hardware off a 4 door 2wd blazer at a u-pull-it place for $25 bucks, as well as an 8.5 in rear end w/ a 3.42 posi w/ disc brakes. Someone had already gotten to the DP 11 inch rotor front brakes but the guys told me he would call me when another came in. So for $400 i got a complete rear end with discs and both sway bars....also he told me he would charge $85 for the front brake assembly I want including the spindle...sweet...gotta love cash for cars!

·
i want this wheel
642 Posts
Thank God for this thread and the search function! I scored a rear 4dr blazer swaybar at the pullapart today and it was just dumb luck that I didn't get it from the 2dr blazer that gave up its fender.

Are 4wd front bars the same as 2wd?

Edit: Nope. I wonder if the front bar is still there on the one we yanked the rear bar from. hmmmm

·
Bowtie Til I Die
2,341 Posts
I'm not sure about the 2wd blazers... i didnt find any. Those are rare!
but for the front bar, all blazers should have the fat FRONT bar. But not all have the rear.
4wd blazers WILL NOT use the same front sway bar as the 2wd :cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
On gen 1, 2 door blazers 2wd & 4x4 you reverse the rear bar I.E. Facing the front works fine with your own upper brackets The bar has to be straight under the axle like the old chevelle and others. It's function is simple it just needs 4 points of attachment with clearance. I will post pic's of mine soon.

·
time to get cereal
3,214 Posts
Check the dates of the threads you're replying to please. Pretty sure you are a repeat offender.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.