S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Local Tech
5,407 Posts
Chassis saver.... by a long shot..... ive used that, and ive used por15, and por 15 is like water..... chassis saver goes on thick as hell, so it covers really nice.... por15 needs a bunch of coats, it sucks imo

·
376ci LSX MCSS? Say what?
7,589 Posts
i would like to know this too, i am not really looking to spend 150+ a gallon or whaterv POR is costing now adays, and not including all the prep you have to buy too. Mine as of right now is just a daily that i am painting the frame to not let it stick out like a sore thumb when i paint my truck. I was going to spray gun it glossy black to match my truck, but i am not looking for something that is going to be 300+ dollars worth. I figure its going to not look as good as soon as it hits the road, but atleast look better than shit brown color it was before i primed it earlier.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chassis saver.... by a long shot..... ive used that, and ive used por15, and por 15 is like water..... chassis saver goes on thick as hell, so it covers really nice.... por15 needs a bunch of coats, it sucks imo
Where do you order Chassis saver from? i could not find a place to order it online. Do you have to spray it or can it be brushed on and is that all that is needed is just the can of Chassis saver?

·
Hello
11,397 Posts
read this thread on some reviews...

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f125/painting-frame-330171/

I bough the zero rust stuff. Seems to hold up well, but I won't buy it again. You can see too many brush strokes and it is a softer paint... POR15 looks amazing with the clear coat top coat on it.

·
Flat's Where It's At
446 Posts
I just put the first coat of por15 on last night and it looks great. I didn't really think it was all that expensive. I got a quart of por15 and quart each of the marine clean and metal ready and it was only 80$. I have never used anything else, but as of the first coat I am not dissapointed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
When done right you can do 3 coats on a full ext. cab frame with about 1.5 pints of POR15. Not to mention the stuff is amazingly scratch resistant. I used it on my frame and it looks amazing, and I don't have to worry about brake fluid messing it up. :)

·
Bags Sometime!
314 Posts
Por15 works great if you do the prep stuff right. I, of course, didn't spend much time for prep and now I have parts flaking off. :( Then I didn't allow enough dry time between coats so it didn't cure all the way. All of this was my fault though. Prep work and letting it cure all the way is the way to do it.

I am trying the stuff from Eastwood this time around. I am interested to see how it compares.

·
Registered
407 Posts
chassis saver is only 25bucks a quart here. flat or shiny black or silver. i used it on my frame and i would recommend it but i have also never used por15. chassis saver is also better brushed on because being a single stage product it is exposed to more ambient air when sprayed. there for actually setting up to much before it gets a bite. hope that helps

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies! After spending a good part of the day reading up on all the different brands I felt like they were pretty much all the same. I did do a search here on the forum and it seems like a majority uses the POR 15 so I decided to spend the extra cash and go that route. I called POR and they recommended that if you want your frame to stay nice and shiny to use the Glisten PC clear. I wasn't to crazy about the fact that it takes the Glisten PC 48 to 96 hours to fully cure but then again I am not in a hurry to get my truck done so I am sure it will be worth the wait. I will let you guys know how it turns out! ;)
thanks again, you guys have been a big help!

·
The way of all flesh
10,782 Posts
i just used some single stage omni gloss black, have about 100 in for for a gallon and the hardener and some other things, still glossy but cant the abuse like other stuff

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I figure that if I am stripping it down to the frame and taking the time to do all this other stuff to it that I really needed to paint the frame with the best stuff I can find. The last thing I want is for the paint to chip or fade in a short amount of time while everything else looks nice. ;)

·
Flat's Where It's At
446 Posts
I don't think I am going to top coat mine since the bed will be covering it. It says on the website to top coat if it exposed to sun light. After 3 coats I am completely satisfied and think it looks amazing. Check out my project thread to see pics. it is called 4 years and finally in the project section

1 - 20 of 47 Posts