S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I'm probably drunk.
8,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck is a 2000 Blazer, 4.3

OK, so my truck has a crack in the plastic part of the radiator. I want to replace it but I have to sneak around and do it in my parking garage at my condo. If they see me doing it they'll make me stop so I have to be stealthy and quick about it.

My question is, besides the new radiator, what do I need to do this? How much antifreeze/water mix will I need? Will I need any transmission fluid or oil due to any cooler lines leaking while unhooked? And what kinda tools do I need? Ratchet sizes and any other specialty tools?

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. :cool:

·
Chip Chipperson
6,827 Posts
youll need 10mm socket for the shroud,pliers if your hoses have the squezze clamps,they make a speciel tool for the trans lines but i just used to use a little flat head screw driver or pick,just make sure to not lose the clips,they are a pain to find at parts stores sometimesif they have them where you are getting the rad. i would go ahead and get some just in case,i would also check the hoses to see if they need to be replaced and i think that might be it,thats all i needed on my truck,and of course something to catch the fluid in.as fo the coolant,i cant remember how much it takes,and the trans fluid you really dont lose alot,just get a quart,but usually it doesnt even show it being low after.

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
They're called e-clips I believe. I use a dentist pick to remove them and they come right off. They're somewhat similar to this: http://circlip.net/e-clip.html.

10mm socket to remove the fan shroud, screwdriver for the hose clamps, and possibly a crescent wrench to pull the oil cooler & transmission cooler fittings out. On my new radiator, I had to remove the fittings from the old one and re-use them. Just carefully used a crescent wrench to pop them out and in.

·
Chip Chipperson
6,827 Posts
They're called e-clips I believe. I use a dentist pick to remove them and they come right off. They're somewhat similar to this: http://circlip.net/e-clip.html.

10mm socket to remove the fan shroud, screwdriver for the hose clamps, and possibly a crescent wrench to pull the oil cooler & transmission cooler fittings out. On my new radiator, I had to remove the fittings from the old one and re-use them. Just carefully used a crescent wrench to pop them out and in.
i knew i was forgetting a few things,but yeah most new radiators dont come with the fittings,or atleast the ones i sell at my work dont.

·
UN-BANNED B!TCHES!!!!!
6,950 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
You can also go to a local rad shop and have one made to order... they're pretty simple affairs these days... I had a new one made last year, works great.

·
where's my chippy?
8,076 Posts
basicly everyone covered it, one thing though is make sure you have multiple buckets, one isnt going to be enough unless its over like 7 gallons and also find somewhere to dispose of the coolant, dont just bring it to a car wash then pull the drain plug wash your car then put the plug back with new radiator and fluid, someone by me did this

·
THE Registered User
1,178 Posts
It took about a week for my rad to get to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts