S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever changed the bench seat in a 1991 Gmc Sonoma single cab or similar truck to buckets. Im looking to do the least amount of work, so Id prefer to just get the bucket seats and brackets that hold the seat to the floor out of one vehicle. Does anyone know if I can take the seats out of a blazer? Ive also heard you can get them out of a caviler. fyi Im a 6 foot guy so Id still like to have some leg room, if that matters.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm also eager to learn about this.
From what I understand, it is more of a conversion then simply swapping out seats.

·
Registered
255 Posts
We swapped out a bench for buckets in my sisters 85 regular cab long bed. I can't remember what she got the seats out of, maybe a cavalier. It's been awhile and I don't have any pics, but if I remember correctly, the 2 outboard bolt holes lined up with the factory bench holes. So we just drilled 2 new holes for each seat for the inboard bolts and made up some blocks to use as shims so the seats wouldn't be leaning in toward each other. The blocks were about 3/8 or 1/2 inch thick, whatever the measurement was. Blazer buckets should bolt right in once you add the inboard holes for the bolts. You would also want to add a large area washer (fender washer I think they are called) to help distribute the load of the seat trying to pull through the floor. The vehicles that came with bucket seats were probably reinforced in those areas from the factory so to make up for that we just used the washers to make a larger mounting surface. Hope this all makes sense. I'll probably have to put buckets in my 85 when I put the v8/t56 in it since I think the shifter will hit the bench seat, but I could be wrong. I can take pics then, but it's probably gonna be a few years down the road yet before I get to that point.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I'm also eager to learn about this.
From what I understand, it is more of a conversion then simply swapping out seats.
yes it is a conversion. Bench only has 2 studs on each side holding it down. same applies for bucket, but its 2 on each side of of each seat. You would be missing the 2 sets of inner studs but from what I understand it is quite easy to put them in.

·
peace and big boobs to u
6,026 Posts
ok just so you know this is one of the top 5 most asked questions on this forum, if you do a search you will find detailed write ups on this subject, it is a simple thing get the seats from a truck or blazer, the outer bolts will line up there will be no inner bolts you can get the mounts from the vehicle you got the seats from, you can weld them in or sheet metal screw them in both methods are covered in the write ups

·
Registered
140 Posts
If they're S-Series seats (Gen I or Gen II); the bolts closest to the door line up perfectly. All you have to do is drill the other two holes for each seat and run bolts/nuts through. If you're really feeling motivated; you could drill out the brackets from the donor vehicle and weld them in.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
You're not. I can't find a bench seat for mine. I'd gladly trade a set of '94 leather power Blazer buckets for a nice one!
Lets do this pete i have a decent vinyl bench ill trade ya :p

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info. I like the bench seat, but anyone I have ever dated has never liked to sit in the middle, mainly cuz I have a 5 speed manual and they either have to move or shift for me. And it would be nice to be able to put in a center console so I can have a cup holder thats not in the window.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My 92 has a bench and I have no desire to change it. However I think I have to swap my 85 out to buckets when I do the v8 swap cause the shifter is gonna be in the way. So, I guess you could say I like both.

·
Longbeds FTMFW
8,623 Posts
However I think I have to swap my 85 out to buckets when I do the v8 swap cause the shifter is gonna be in the way.
My bench doesnt affect my shifter in mine. But I am running an auto..
If you are running an auto when you do the swap you can locate your shifter wherever you want, as long as the shift cable is routed nicely, with a good gradual loop in it (not kinked)

·
Longbeds FTMFW
8,623 Posts
You're not. I can't find a bench seat for mine. I'd gladly trade a set of '94 leather power Blazer buckets for a nice one!
damn... i have 2 benches laying around, but i promised one to somebody already...

·
Registered
255 Posts
My bench doesnt affect my shifter in mine. But I am running an auto..
If you are running an auto when you do the swap you can locate your shifter wherever you want, as long as the shift cable is routed nicely, with a good gradual loop in it (not kinked)
I've got a t56, so I don't think I have many options as to where the shifter goes. But thanks anyway.

·
"Phat"boy
1,240 Posts
I have a blue vinyl bench from my 86 that's it good to real good condition. No rips or tears. Just sun faded...it's certainly available if anyone wants in...I'm in the St. Louis area

·
I have the correct sliding seat brakets but i don't have the floor brackets...

Does anyone have pice of how they mounded and spaced up the inner brackets without getting the factory mounts and welding them to the floor?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
You could probably screw them down. There is a few pics in my 89 thread in my sig, if you want to see some pics.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts