S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So when I used to put on new pads on my old vehicle I did it the lazy way. Pull of the wheel, pull off caliper, press in piston w/ C-clamp etc. put in new pads put caliper back on.. I would refresh and bleed every 3rd time or so. My friend who THINKS he's a mechanic swears that if I dont drain the brake fluid pressing the piston in on the caliper will break some expensive part in my ABS. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Last time I did my pads I did new fluid etc.. just incase. Well now I just want to get some new pads on there and deal with the BS when I have time... So I guess my question is, have you guys ever pressed in the piston on the caliper w/o draining the brake fluid?

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Its been rumored esp with the sy/ty ppl that this can hurt the abs cuz there is a screen in the module that could get cloged up with dirt from the system. I havent had proof either way but I would recomend crackin the bleeder when you compress the pistion just to be safe. It wont hurt anythin if you do.

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
likewise nothing bad has ever happened to me, but do you really want to take the chance? besides you need to bleed out the bad fluid everytime anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts