S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my battery cables on my 98 s10 reg cab 4.3 5 speed. Looks like I need to remove the starter to do this. Any thing I should know before I remove? Will it have shims? I have removed the starter on my Dodge Ram. It was simple unbolt and remove. This is looking like will be a lot different. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
301 Posts
There are probably no shims in it. You may also be able to go straight in from the front with a long extension and socket to remove the nut on the positive cable. Otherwise just remove the aluminum cover around the torque convertor and then drop the starter down that way.

·
Been there Done it
7,069 Posts
You might be able to reach the nut for the cable through the fender well with the pass wheel off and the deflector removed or folded up. Since you are just replacing the cable leave the starter in.
It takes some experimenting to figure out which wrench or socket combo works for you in that tight space.
As 67Truckin said a long extension from the front will give you a straight shot at the nut. If you can fit it in.
I've found a 9" extension on the socket and then adding another once you get the first half in place works better than just a solid real long one. Not enough room to fit a single one in at the front, unless the rad is out.
Be sure to hold onto the cable when breaking the nut loose so the nut under the cable doesn't turn. Or you will be dropping the starter. Same when installing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went ahead a pulled the starter. Wasn’t as bad as I thought. There wasn’t any shims that I seen so it was pretty much like the dodge. I haven’t tried to start yet so not sure if I messed it up or not. I guess I will find out when I finish the job this weekend. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts