S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my 85 2.5 4 spd is starting, I noticed steam coming our from the exhaust side between the first 2 cylinders. I assume it's a head gasket
Anybody have any advice on changing the head gasket? I've never done one and I would like to take as few things apart as possible. I hear you should just buy new head bolts while you at it

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it wasn't smoke and it didn't smell like burning oil. It was like when a tea pot gives off steam -only it was coming out of the side of the engine, and it looked like it was where I thought the head gasket should be. It looks like it is wet down the side of the engine below where the steam was coming out. I would like to be sure it is a head gasket before i start buying stuff and taking things apart

·
Wire Splicin Fool :-)
8,692 Posts
Is it using water? Is the compression low? Head gasket isnt too expensive, the head bolts are more than the gasket, My uncle doesnt usually put new ones in unless he is at work (at home he does as he pleases and everything works out ok.)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's using water but the waterpump is leaking like crazy so it's hard to tell The compression is strong in all cylinders and the oil doesn't show any white, at least on the dip stick. There's a whole head gasket kit for $35 at NAPA and the head bolts are $24. I'd rather spend the money on new speakers!

·
paint color? ... Mud =D
1,312 Posts
your head gasket may not have sealed between the cooling channel and the ouside world
unless your engine block has a hole in it, a head gasket would be the only other reason
its not a leaking freeze plug by any chance?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure where or even what the freeze plug is. There isn't anything aound the leak that looks like a plug. I saw what the gasket looks like and there are 2 cooling channels very close to where the steam leaks out. Maybe the gasket is still holding around the cylinder?

·
Rarely goes over 20mph
3,163 Posts
BUY NEW HEAD BOLTS they are torque to yeild, and are unsafe to reuse.

pick up a haynes manual, as it will help you out with torque specs.

youll need a torque wrench and a bunch of metric sockets.

its not too hard, i did it when i was 19, im now 20, ive never had automotive classes, just wrench and figure out on my own.

theres not much way to go around it, you have to remove alot of stuff, but leaving the carb/tb attached to intake is one less thing to mess with.

just label every hose and take pictures for refrence.

might as well pick up some rubber hose while your at it, it will be brittle and break.

buy the gasket KIT, it will include alot of parts you cant get without a kit, and use every gasket, i did except the lifter cover one, the egr and valve cover, got a graphite egr=best and neoprene valve cover=best and reuseable, as i used to make them at my old job

·
The Eye is watching you!!
963 Posts
I just did the HG on my truck, it's not that hard. there's only like 15 parts and a dozen plugs. Use old egg-trays to hold the bolts and write in the top what they go to. +1 for getting new bolts, they're like $25 for the set. (the cressida has about 4 bajillion parts and as many plugs and bolts are $100 a set)

pull the manifold off and have a closer look to make sure it really is the HG. it's very unlikely that the cylinder would seal without the coolant-to-outside-world sealing

·
Wire Splicin Fool :-)
8,692 Posts
Never actually said not to replace head bolts, just that my uncle (good GM mechanic and my gramps - retired GM) dont change 'em unless it is a cust car, I, assuming I had the cash would change them, just thought I would note that some people dont and get away with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought the head gasket kit and new head bolts today. There sure are alot of gaskets to replace. I guess I'll start after I run some cleaner thru the cooling system (per the instructions for changing the water pump).cross your fingers
I got real lucky today at the u pull it yard. I got a whole new interior w/ nice buckets, short console, carpet and all the trim pieces for $69. They need a good cleaning but it will definitely be an upgrade over my bench seat and rubber floor mats. i should have snatched the 350 auto but didn't have the cash

1 - 11 of 11 Posts