S-10 Forum banner

Cha Ching

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Ringmaster2011 
#1 ·
I am thinking about putting a 350 in my 84 s-15:D only thing is cost:( I want to put in a carbed 350 that is basically stock so i can add on as i get the funds I am going to get a block but i need to no what it will cost to rebuild it as well as the price on a manual 5 or 6 speed tranny that will handle a few modifications down the rode. As well as a new diff and axle if i need one and a rad.

Also will a 350 fit under the stock hood or do i need to get a cowled one first. and is it possible to get a JTR book somewhere other than the internet

Thanx

#2 ·
You can order the JTR book from them if you want.: (925) 462-3619. Since you have an 84 S-15 that was carbed originally, it would definitely be a wise decision to run a carbed 350. You will save yourself alot of cash by doing this.

If you are gonna go all the way and rebuild the V8 go all the way. Get your block dipped, chem cleaned and a new cam bearing installed. Alot of places sell complete (pistons, rings, rods) kits that will save you some cash.

Your V8 will fit under the stock hood, JTR makes their own motor mounts that work with the stock 2.8 mounts that allow you to adjust the engine position "easily"

Tranny, if you go with a 6 speed you are bringing alot of extra cost in. Right off the bat, that thing is MUCH more expensive than what you would pay for a 5 speed. IMO, it's worth it for that 6th gear. If simplicity and cost is your overall goal, then look into an auto. IT MUST BE FROM OR BUILT FOR THE V8. The 4.3 700r4 will bolt up to the 350 but there are some horror stories out there about the internals giving up the ghost behind a V8.

Differential, there are alot of people out there running the stock S10 diffs. If you are not running some serious HP, then you should be alright. I will be going over to a Ford 9" when I can afford to have the housing built.

Anyway, hope this helped out a little...

Stef

#4 ·
Auto's
All of your old school stuff
TH 350

Newer trannies like the 700r4.

Manual's
T-5 WC (the world class is very important)
5 speed from the full size
or
T-56 6 speed..

Since cost is a concern, I would say leave the stock diff in. Just make sure your bearings are in good condition.

#5 ·
Id deffinetly go to a posi and stonger axels if your running some decent power. SLP sells a Zexel Torsen posi unit...$100...$75 right now on sale!! they pull them out of the camaros and firebirds when the do them um into SS's and Firehawks or whatnot. with this posi though, u need to bump up from the stock 26 spline axels to the 28. Kick Ass axels sells these for $220. soo...for around 300 bucks...u got a pretty solid rearend...way stronger than that stock unit. i got links if ur interested to those companies

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.