S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Mistakenly mixed rear drum parts metallic shoes with ceramic drums. Seems like they want to almost lock up at the touch of the pedal but then it goes away sometimes.
Any thoughts other then the obvious to use the same material all the way around?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Where did you even get ceramic drums? I never heard of that before.

I have seen regular drums and also higher carbon content drums.

Also did you bleed the system?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Napa / Summit, It could be Metallic drums and ceramic shoes. Either way its been on there a year or more now I didn't do the install and when I got the parts I didn't notice the difference in materials. No I didnt bleed it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Napa / Summit, It could be Metallic drums and ceramic shoes. Either way its been on there a year or more now I didn't do the install and when I got the parts I didn't notice the difference in materials. No I didnt bleed it.
Yea it is just regular steel drums. And ceramic, semi-metallic, etc I have never had an issue using on regular drums.

Sounds to me like it is time to pull the drum off and inspect. Could be a bad wheel cylinder.

·
Been there Done it
11,874 Posts
On my 94 K1500 I had a problem with one rear brake locking up when I backed up. Same basic drum brakes as the S10. Maybe a bit bigger, but same design and components. What had happened was one of the little pins that goes thru the shoes in the middle of each one to hold the hold down springs had broken off. It was allowing the front shoe to cock a bit when I backed up and then bound up on the drum.
You'd think in all the spare parts I've collected over the last 25 years or so there would be one of those pins left over from something. Nope. Had to go to Napa and spend $6 for a complete hardware kit with all the little springs and clips. Just for that one pin. Got plenty of spares now. But it cured the problem for only $6.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks Mr. How do I check for a bad wheel cylinder?

Thanks too oldeer.
I'll check for those pins to be intact once I pop it off.

Nice. Napa all the way.

I noticed uneven braking something felt warped when I braked at times. Its been like this but just gotten worse I thought at first it might have been my new front rotors somehow warped but then I thought how can that be they're new. It feels like an uneven rolling of the drums when the brakes are applied.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Usually they will start seeping or leaking or sometimes they partially seize up from rust. Which I think partially seizing up could be your problem.

I have not attempted it with my S10 but on my Toyota it is pretty easy to just use the adjuster to pull the shoes away from the wheel cylinder without disassembling and you can see if it is free or seized up.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks.
I took them off and just sprayed one can of brake kleen on each of them.
Seem to help for a couple miles and then it seems like it's starting to do it again
IMG_20210721_212017.jpg
IMG_20210721_212025.jpg
IMG_20210721_212030.jpg
IMG_20210721_212124.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kinda feels like Im getting a wobble when applying the pedal but It could be the front discs maybe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts