S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 95 S10 pickup I am trying to install a center console with the auto shifter to replace the column shifter. Have gotten some valuable info from this site but had one little question.

On my 95 the gear indicator in the instrument cluster is analog type, NOT DIGITAL.
Will it still work with the console shifter ? I would have two gear indicators which would be strange but would the one in the instrument cluster operate or would essentially be dead ?
If I wanted to get rid of the instrument cluster gear indicator is there any way other than replacing the instrument cluster to a manual vehicle style or one that came with the console shifter ? Thx for any help.

Bill E.

·
Banned
1,395 Posts
The column shift gauge indicator is engaged by a cable that attaches to the shifter. You may be able to rig it up to the shifter detents in some way, but it will probably be pretty complicated.

Also, I don't know what transmission came in the 95's, but in my buddies 93 the floor shifter indicator didn't work right with his 700R4. I'd imagine that could be fixed with a little engenuity though.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Without having it apart I was wondering if a 95 still had the cable and spring assembly for the gear indicator on the column. I read on here when I searched for info that a certain year up would still work the gear indicator in the instrument cluster after the console shifter was installed but I think they were referring to the ones with the digital (led) type of gear indicator which I believe is controlled by the computer.

Got a lot of bits and pieces from my searches just trying to fill in the gaps ?
Any help is appreciated, thx......................

I don't remember exactly which year they changed the name from 700r4 to 4l60 to 4l60-e a couple years later but the shifter would be the same for all of them.......physically.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anybody know if the instrument cluster gear indicator will still work after the center console shifter install on a 95 ?

·
Insane Network Engineer
5,965 Posts
442typhoondude said:
The column shift gauge indicator is engaged by a cable that attaches to the shifter. You may be able to rig it up to the shifter detents in some way, but it will probably be pretty complicated.

Also, I don't know what transmission came in the 95's, but in my buddies 93 the floor shifter indicator didn't work right with his 700R4. I'd imagine that could be fixed with a little engenuity though.

No, his shift indicator his handled by an electronic shift on the side of the transmission. The s10's havge been using them since 94, and the blazers since 95 (up to 94 in the suv they still used the liittle wire)

When you do the swap into a 1st gen you completely remove the shift indicator in the dash anyway (see my 1st gen write up) and simply use the one on the shifter itself.

·
Banned
1,395 Posts
rlith said:
No, his shift indicator his handled by an electronic shift on the side of the transmission. The s10's havge been using them since 94, and the blazers since 95 (up to 94 in the suv they still used the liittle wire)

When you do the swap into a 1st gen you completely remove the shift indicator in the dash anyway (see my 1st gen write up) and simply use the one on the shifter itself.
Ah, thanks for the good info. That may explain why the detents of the 700 didn't work exactly right with the later shifter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts