S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I want to repair the headliner, so ir is made with rock wool !! Any fabric on it so the small particles of rock wool is flying into car . I am no sure if it is better repair the cardboard leaving the rock wool inside of it or to create a new one from fiber glass like a base for the fabric.

·
Been there Done it
11,461 Posts
Doubt if the mineral particulate in the rock wool is doing your lungs much good. The life expectancy for most mesothelioma patients is approximately 12 months after diagnosis.
Granted it's not asbestos, but you are still inhaling miniature rock particles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course , I know it , the is not in use from 18 years ago , abandoned under trees in a farm . Is better to create a new one with fiber glass than to close it and fabric .

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Doubt if the mineral particulate in the rock wool is doing your lungs much good. The life expectancy for most mesothelioma patients is approximately 12 months after diagnosis.
Granted it's not asbestos, but you are still inhaling miniature rock particles.
TYVM for that info. Never even heard of rock wool, but my last s10 headliner was like this, not as bad but plenty of rock wool exposed,and I drove it like that for 2 years.....yikes. Do you have an opinion on why they used rock wool ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rock wool is a excellent isolation for temperature due the skill to capture air internally . But the problem using it is the small particules are floating in air and is dangerous to breath it and over the skin an itch feeling . It is not cancerous like asbestos. And not bad for environment. With a torch is possible to see the suspension particules in air

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
mix up resin, redue it with thinner, and using a spray gun, coat the headliner. this will make it rigid, and workable. your headliner is in bad shape, once it is hardened, you can repair it.
then cover with your choice of headliner material.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
The rock wool is a excellent isolation for temperature due the skill to capture air internally . But the problem using it is the small particules are floating in air and is dangerous to breath it and over the skin an itch feeling . It is not cancerous like asbestos. And not bad for environment. With a torch is possible to see the suspension particules in air
TY for the info ! I have breathed alot of it, YIKES.....I was too young and stupid to think it would hurt me.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts