S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i know i need a catalytic converter. but ive hear some stories that if i just go out and buy a generic "hope it will work and fit" brand that it wont work or turn off the light. i just needed a second opinion. or should i go to the brand that says it will work and fit for like 4 times the price? oh by the way this is on a 2000 4.3 s10

·
Local Tech
5,407 Posts
to be honest, the stock cat. is a real good one (efficiency speaking), so id go with an oem or a direct fit replacement.... no universals

·
Registered
595 Posts
iactually got a new cat today...

the OEM one worked fine but something broke inside and caused a horrible rattle at idle. It sounded like a ball bearing in a coffee can beaing shaken by a 5 year old kid.

i went to my local muffler shop and they did the universal magnaflow. Cut the old one out, welded it in place so since the stock one was cut out and the new one welded in the flanges are still in place so I can bolt or unbolt the cat still. good deal but paid about 200 out the door. but well worth not having the rattle

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea my 02's were shot when my motor blew and burnt up the cat, it doesnt rattle or anything just has the light, and i mis spoke you are correct anything can fit with a little bit of help. but from the dealer an oem cat is like 900. and i dont have enough for that.

·
long live italy.
636 Posts
my old magnaflow universal "free flower" welded right up.
I was also close to 200 and glad i cut the bitch off

·
long live italy.
636 Posts
sure.
go to summit type in all your info and it will pop up.
then if u can't weld it or don't have the tools and shit necessary, a muffler shop cut the old one and slap it on there for not even triple digits.

·
///Relaxed Atmosphere
3,547 Posts
iactually got a new cat today...

the OEM one worked fine but something broke inside and caused a horrible rattle at idle. It sounded like a ball bearing in a coffee can beaing shaken by a 5 year old kid.

i went to my local muffler shop and they did the universal magnaflow. Cut the old one out, welded it in place so since the stock one was cut out and the new one welded in the flanges are still in place so I can bolt or unbolt the cat still. good deal but paid about 200 out the door. but well worth not having the rattle
mine is doing the EXACT same thing, only they want $300 for a new one installed! WTF

1 - 14 of 14 Posts