S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to tackle some exhaust work on my '91 S10 pickup using a cheapo $100 Harbor Freight welder. It's a beater, not a restoration, so it doesn't need to look pretty; MIG would be preferable of course but flux core is what I've got.

So my question: is the OEM cat stainless? I can't imagine it would be, but as of now I'm planning to use the front flange from the OEM cat on a generic weld-in one. Am I going to have a bad time trying to weld it?

·
Horsepower Addict
207 Posts
Cats are stainless due to the heat they produce.

If it has a brown rust color, it is likely 409 stainless.

Others are likely 300 series.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any chance it's built like the weld-in one that I got, with a stainless body and steel pipes?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’d suggest doin a couple quick spot welds on an area were if you burn through etc it wont be an issue...like the flange or were it’s flared to fit over the next section of exhaust pipe on the coupler?

·
Been there Done it
11,264 Posts
I used to use one of those before finally buying a mig. As you said it won't be pretty, but it can be done. Helps a lot if you only do real short welds and then flip the pipe over and do the opposite side then let it cool for a bit. Takes a lot of time, but prevents burning thru as much. And there is also the time it takes to chip off the slag before restarting. Not to mention all the spatter that gets on everything.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,475 Posts
spatter spray and damp rags, and a magnet are tools to have handy. if the mag sticks you will weld as normal. and a very clean surface is your friend.time,patience, and a steady hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts