S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with these liquid Catalytic cleaners?
Many claim to guarantee passing emissions test or your money back and that's one of the least expensive. Some are poured in the gas tank, others are pumped into the intake down stream of the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. One even requires a special spray bottle much like the insecticide pump sprayer, another has a cleaner that's introduced through the 1st O2 sensor hole (duh) to do it's job.
Most that go in the tank is diluted with 16gl. or less in the tank, some want you to use it with less gas. Most all recommend using it every X miles (well of course they do; they want to sell more product) to maintain the converter at it's cleanest.

·
Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
1,591 Posts
Many claim to guarantee passing emissions test or your money back and that's one of the least expensive. Some are poured in the gas tank, others are pumped into the intake down stream of the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. One even requires a special spray bottle much like the insecticide pump sprayer, another has a cleaner that's introduced through the 1st O2 sensor hole (duh) to do it's job.
Most that go in the tank is diluted with 16gl. or less in the tank, some want you to use it with less gas. Most all recommend using it every X miles (well of course they do; they want to sell more product) to maintain the converter at it's cleanest.
IMHO, the short answer is don't waste your money - most are merely formulated to reduce carbon buildup in the engine and exhaust system, but any 'cleaning' of the converter would likely be nominal at best. And they certainly won't remedy a clogged or faulty converter. I am suspicious of any product like this that claims "guaranteed to pass emissions test". I may be wrong about the cleaner (and have no experience with them), but if all systems are functioning properly, what's the need for a 'cleaner', especially with the claim about needing/ recommending to use it every xxx miles? But if you are going to purchase it, you might need to also throw in a left handed metric crescent wrench - I 'heard' there is a huge online bigly sale on them!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you, I am not generally in favor of the "Mechanic In A Can" approach to auto repair though I have seen products demonstrated actually do what they say, like BG (Bearing and Gear) and Slick 50. Mass Air Flow sensor cleaners work too. I will let the forum know what I learn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
IMHO, the short answer is don't waste your money - most are merely formulated to reduce carbon buildup in the engine and exhaust system, but any 'cleaning' of the converter would likely be nominal at best. And they certainly won't remedy a clogged or faulty converter. I am suspicious of any product like this that claims "guaranteed to pass emissions test". I may be wrong about the cleaner (and have no experience with them), but if all systems are functioning properly, what's the need for a 'cleaner', especially with the claim about needing/ recommending to use it every xxx miles? But if you are going to purchase it, you might need to also throw in a left handed metric crescent wrench - I 'heard' there is a huge online bigly sale on them!
Do they come in pretty colors?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Cats stay clean in properly operating vehicles. Theoretically last forever . Injector cleaners periodically help prevent excess fuel use which cats don't like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts