S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 4.3 ext cab
I had a junk catalytic converter causing huge power loss. I removed the cat and put in a straight pipe. The SES light came on p0420 for cat efficiency of course. So I did the non fouler truck on the o2 sensor and cleared the code. I haven't gotten the code for 400 miles. Problem is, catalyst I/m monitor is is still in not ready. Im trying to get an inspection sticker on this truck, and I have a guy that will pass it without a cat, but I need either this monitor to be ready or my evap monitor, which I've also been trying to get to be ready for a little over 400 miles. I've ran the truck in various conditions, highway, city, warm ambient temp, cold starts, always 1/2 tank + fuel.
Could the non fouler cause this monitor to never set? If I put the o2 back in like normal, get the code, then put the non fouler back, will the code go away and the monitor be ready? Anyone else have issues with waiting this long for I/m monitor readiness?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,443 Posts
Why not just put a cat back on it?

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
334 Posts
You can pick up universal catalytic converters for as little as $100. Also use a scan tool that can see pending codes not just set codes

I have had an issue waiting this long for before in my Toyota but not my Chevy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My scanner shows pending and confirmed codes. Nothing has come up up since I cleared. It shows live data as well and it appears the DS o2 is graphing like a normal post cat o2 sensor.
I know I can buy a catalytic converter. I'm not on the restricted list of people who can't.
I was asking if my monitor should eventually be ready, or will it never get there bc of the o2 spacers.

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
334 Posts
My scanner shows pending and confirmed codes. Nothing has come up up since I cleared. It shows live data as well and it appears the DS o2 is graphing like a normal post cat o2 sensor.
I know I can buy a catalytic converter. I'm not on the restricted list of people who can't.
I was asking if my monitor should eventually be ready, or will it never get there bc of the o2 spacers.
You try clearing the codes and attempting the drive cycle procedure again. I cannot speak for o2 sensor spacers never used them as it is against federal law despite me living in a state with no inspections, make sure you did not damage the wiring to the sensor.

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
334 Posts
What does that mean??
Maybe he assumed because I mentioned universal catalytic converters can be bought for as little as $100 that I was calling him broke which is not what I was getting at. What I was really getting at is just do the job right the first time and keep it legal and it prevents problems.

Reactions: oldeerslayer
1 - 7 of 7 Posts